[kictanet] Are Mobicoms Impoverishing "Emerging Markets"?

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 13:14:22 EAT 2007

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments, I am pleased to debate...

--- Eric Osiakwan <eric at afrispa.org> wrote:

> Dear Alex,
>
> Am sorry but you have not said anything new,

I did not claim that it was "new", and in fact, I
stated that it was a compilation.

> this is not about ICT
> but just the human nature.

> Carlos like any other human whether rich by ICT or
> Oil or Diamonds
> etc can either behave well towards society or be
> evil.

Yes this is true but remember also that ICTs are a
quite different from minerals in that they affect
everyone i.e. whereas one can choose to wear a gold,
diamond, or brass ring everyone,unless in jail, has no
option but to receive news and communicate with every
other human, remote or near. I introduce remote
because  most cannot afford to sail or jet across the
globe, though it's an option provide by Oil products

This UNESCO publication raises ethical vulnerabilities
questions such as RFID to monitor how employees spend
their private time that *unethical* information
handlers could exploit to violate others
rights/control societies.
http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001499/149992E.pdf
An example "Landlord arrested for spying on tenants"
<http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN2731953620071127?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews&rpc=69>

> If you check the records carefully, there is no
> revolution of time
> that gives even the poor a chance at wealth than the
> ICT revolution.

This is why it ICT is so special and concentrating it
on one person is very dangerous.

> but in the ICT age, my good old friend, started the
> biggest software company in Africa.

In essence these possibilities are what we must
preserve by avoiding emergent Private Monopolies.

> Alex, i like challenging the status quo and
> rethinking things and
> arguments but in the scheme of things those of us
> who belong to this
> revolution must settle and shipout this steroe type
> argument that
> beats on the gains and opportunities provided by
> ICTs to the
> developing world.

Feel free to give opposed point of views. I invited
comments:)

> Can you ever imagine that the richest man in the
> world could come
> from a developing country

But should we proud of the richest man coming from our
midst, or with how he has (negated) sum total of
individuals' prosperity. The "balancing" pointed out
Ntege was reasonable to me.

> if it is not for ICT and
> how on earth can
> Africa be leading the entire world on something if
> it was not for the
> mobile revolution?

Indeed ICTs are invcredibly powerful enablers to
endless innovation possibilities.

> To cut a long story short, it is
> not about ICTs
> but human nature and thats why i now subscribe to
> school of thought
> that we need to go back to the same basics of human
> discipline,
> honesty, faithfullness, hardwork, commitment etc

Sorry though I cannot quite relate these to my initial
post, but it might interested you read the "Happy
Slave" theory.["Understanding Behaviorism: Science,
Behavior, and Culture", By William M. Baum,
http://books.google.com/books?id=B2Fkuw76DxoC&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=%22happy+slave%22&source=web&ots=6kCHMzMOx9&sig=PYEzkmHtE3VInoiy3T8y_GHt_wc

Do not allow yourself to be made one:)

Best,

Alex