[kictanet] Are Mobicoms Impoverishing "Emerging Markets"?

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:45:29 EAT 2007

Taking a bird's view, floating a conspiracy theory,  and inviting your
comments...

The Financial Post 9 -15 April 2007 issue, contains an article titled
"Billion Dollar Baby" Carlos Slim Helú's fortune is up almost $20
billion a year, built amid poverty and resentment in Mexico. Now he is
gaining on Warren Buffett. (attached)

This is old news now for Carlos is now the world's richest man. Slim
has a substantial influence over the telecommunications industry [and
media] in Mexico and much of Latin America as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim_Hel%C3%BA

There are/can be two camps here, one paying homage to new richest men
in our worlds or those feeling the havoc caused by mobicoms dominance
by worsening poverty levels in developing nations. This is why I say,
andstand to be corrected, "In the current situation ICTs cause more
poverty than prosperity."
http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=363&Itemid=5810.

With this wealth and power at their disposal, I fear that it could be
just a matter of time before they start deciding on DNs governments. A
hypothetical Fabian bored with too much wealth, succeeded at his
ultimate game to an entire society: -

"After a man has far more money than he can possibly spend for
pleasure, what is left to excite him? For those with a ruling class
mentality, the answer is power - raw power over other human beings.
The idealists were used in the media and in Government, but the real
controllers that Fabian sought were those of the ruling class
mentality." http://www.relfe.com/plus_5_.html

Another example, I have been following on how spying devices were
found inside key components of the Vodafone network in Greece, which
was being used to monitor conversations of 103 people, including the
Greek Prime Minister, Costas Karamanlis and his wife. Today I read
this article http://www.cellular-news.com/story/27648.php

An earlier story "Death muddies Greek spy probe" can be found here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4838552.stm

3 cents...

[mind mentioning where you got this compilation if you must to use it
somewhere else? ("creative commons":) Thanks]