[kictanet] Fibre Optic

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Mon Nov 26 09:13:57 EAT 2007

Dear Yawe, Gakuru,
I promised to respond to the question as to whether we indeed need Fibre
Optic Cables.  Yes indeed we need them for the time being (Intel shall be
commecializing [in 10 years time]a chip with the capability to send data
at high speeds without any cables)(see NY Times summary article below).
In as much as I do not like cables  for connectivity I think they are a
necessary infrastructure at the moment.  The benefits are immense as I
look forward to greater linkages with our increasingly important relatives
in the diaspora.

With efficient connectivity, there we create opportunities such as
localised news that is accessible to anyone everywhere; we shall enable
innovation and more importantly create jobs for our youth.  The difference
here is that some may see entrepreneurial opportunities that come with
this infrastructure and unfortunately some will simply watch as events
unfold.  Fortunately, you only need a few (Steve jobs, Bill Gates etc) to
innovate and exploit the opportunity once access to technology is availed.

Our role is to facilitate our people to reach their fullest potential.
This is what leadership is all about.

Bitange Ndemo.

A Chip That Can Transfer Data Using Laser Light
New York Times:

The advance will make it possible to use laser light rather than wires to
send data between chips, removing the most significant bottleneck in
computer design.

A Tiny Laser on a Silicon Chip As a result, chip makers may be able to put
the high-speed data communications industry on the same curve of increased
processing speed and diminishing costs — the phenomenon known as Moore’s
law — that has driven the computer industry for the last four decades.

The development is a result of research at Intel, the world’s largest chip
maker, and the University of California, Santa Barbara. Commercializing
the new technology may not happen before the end of the decade, but the
prospect of being able to place hundreds or thousands of data-carrying
light beams on standard industry chips is certain to shake up both the
communications and computer industries.