[kictanet] Faith in local web hosting

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 08:35:07 EAT 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 8:03 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have raised this issue before when I did a search and found out that the
> CCK web site was hosted overseas and thus how can we expect them to monitor
> the service quality levels of the ISP's.
>
> On Sunday I visited the Kibaki web site, I experienced unstable audio
> streaming so I decided to find out where the site was hosted, yes you guest
> it overseas.  The other 2 presidential candidates web sites are no better
> they are not locally hosted.  Is this a reflection of who the targets of
> this web sites are?
>
> The Kibaki site is developed by one 3Mice, if I remember right, which has
> some association with newly appointed ICT Board Managing Director Kokubo.
>
> Regards
>  Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> KEnya

It's not the faith the people have in local hosting, but rather the
cost factor. Last time I looked at this web hosting biz, one company
was charging KES 1,000+VAT per month, which was what was though to be
competitive. Another one entered into the fray with hype about reduced
costing charges, but I am not sure how much business they managed to
pick. All the same, their charges did not compare with what is charged
internationally (I mean in Europe and the US).
Websites is not something that has caught up with many Kenyans,
otherwise the volumes would help sustain such businesses locally.
I believe the lack of volumes is one of the factors that makes
entities like 3Mice to host overseas. Top-notch Kenyan techies have
been hosting their Blog with blogspot (overseas). Bandwidth costs is
another. In Europe and the US, individuals can afford to connect
10MBps in their kitchens while in Kenya, that kind of bandwidth can
only be purchased by ISPs.
One last question though: Do you know any reliable webhosting company
that hosts it's websites locally, and has reliable and efficient
access to those websites? If there is one, they are not marketing
themselves enough.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,