[kictanet] Government Website standadisation and audit

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 08:47:00 EAT 2007

Hi all,

Today I will end up spending 3,500/- to have someone run to the City Council of Nairobi, County Council of Mavoko and Ministry of Lands offices to find out what I owe in Land Rates and Land Rent.

Earlier in the morning I logged onto the Internet hoping to find the information I needed online as I remember KRA putting up a half page advert worth more than 1 million in the dailies indicating that land rent information is available on their web site.

As I had not recorded the details I tried getting to the site by using the URL's that I assumed would belong to the various entities, kenyarevenue.go.ke, waweru.go.ke, taxman.go.ke, letapesa.go.tax as you might already know the website is at none of these addresses it is at kra.go.ke.  The information is not available at that location http://www.kra.go.ke/landrent/landrent.php yet I am sure if we looked through the KRA payment slips the developer was paid to implement the feature.

But that is not as bad as the Ministry of Lands Website for which I tried lands.go.ke, ministryoflands.go.ke, and even not at grabbers.go.ke.  Thanks to google I was able to find it at ardhi.go.ke.

Would it be so difficult for Dr. Mutua or Dr. Ndemo or Eng. Waweru or Mr. Kokubo or Director of ....., to put up a website that would list all ministry and government agencies websites.  I offer to pay for the domain registration and hosting for one year locally.  We would then lobby all the newspapers to carry the URL for free on their backpage and on the home page of their websites.

Worse still is the lack of a standard layout for the government web sites, each site you visit is a new experience.  Would it be so difficult for us to stop wasting money and just have someone design templates to be used for all Ministry Web sites.  Yes I hear you but then how do we develop our local developers, let us not punish an entire nation so that we can reward a few mediocre designers.

Regards

PS.  I did not get the information and I will now be out of pocket 3,500/- or more by the end of the day, all because we are waiting for a marine cable to resolve all this issues.

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200