[kictanet] Holding our Leaders Accountable

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 14:35:55 EAT 2007

Ignorance would too mild a description. If we agreed to "understand" their inability to  comprehend ICTs, how then could anyone expect them to legislate on ICT consumer protection? At stake is not just techies' votes, unless 8 million mobile and 3 million internet users votes also do not matter. More serioulsy, should we be expected to remain mum while they forfeit their legislative duties?

Lucy Kimani <lkimani at comnews.co.ke> wrote: Becky and Brian:

I am with you on this, those expecting to lead us should do their homework
and ignorance is not an excuse even in law! ICT affects all Kenyans and if
the digital divide is to be eliminated then we need these leaders to
articulate their visions, and if they havent given it a thought then we
surely need to give them a nudge instead of sitting back and feeling
slighted.

Well, I do have a voters card and every vote counts, so let no-one sell us
short because our individual votes do add up!

LK

 wrote:
>   Hi Kenneth,
>
>   While I can understand your sympathy as an alternative point of view -
> one thing I cannot do is accept it as a reason for the no-show.
>

>   If your diary is full you simply do not make appointments - least of all
> confirm participation - or say "I am only 20 minutes away".
>

>   In addition I can assure that not even one of them was dealing with any
> rural issue, nor concerned with the slum constituency or other
> "disadvantaged" areas. I can almost guarantee you this.....
>

>   Let me ask this entire list a question - and please excuse if I'm the
> only one who sees it this way. Why is it only during election period
> that the "wannabe" presidents talk (and get other people to talk) about
> the poor, underprivileged and disadvantaged?
>

>   No excuse - mark my use of the strong language - no excuse for lack of
> etiquette, professionalism and integrity.
>

>   I think that as KICTANET we should contact each one of them and ask them
>  what they intend to do about the broken date.
>

>   Brian
>
>     On May 24, 2007, at 1:17 PM, chelimo kenneth wrote:
>
>   Dear All,
>
> Everybody seems to be bashing the politicians without putting into
> cognizance their (politicans) work schedule. Their diaries are very
> unpredictable and most of them would give preference to issues or
> functions which could attract votes or popularity. ICT in my view is not a
> vote attracting subject under a debate in Kenya as of now.  Remember
> government is yet to extend ICTs to rural areas and other disadvanatged
> places like slums.The reason is simple given the number of people who are
> ICT literate or compliant in such areas. Most votes are in rural areas and
> slums where people have no iota of  knowledge in  ICT.  Unless ICT is
> popularised first in  these areas and make  people ask their leaders
> including  presidential aspirants about their blueprints on ICT, you will
> just be wasting your time trying to attract political leaders  for an ICT
> debate. After all  over 90 per cent of  current legislators either have
> very basic or no knowledge of ICT after all. Good day
>
> Ken Chelimo
> National Coordinator
> Kenya Network of Telecentres
>
> Brian Longwe