[kictanet] Consequences of Media Regulation??

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue May 22 12:08:56 EAT 2007

Dear Kagai,
Thank you for your response.  The section on financial reporting is aimed
to curb those use the information that is not readly available to the
general public for financial gain.  Take for example the off loading of
Uchumi shares by someone who had knowledge that was not in public domain.
Obviously that amounts to insider trading.

There is a difference between financial research and journalism.  In
research you are trying to predict certain events using publicly available
knowledge.  In journalism one may be privy (either by interviewing a CEO
or information is brought to you to publish but you delay it while buying
or dumping sshares) to the fact that Company X is to offer a dividend and
split it shares.  If you use the information to profiteer before the
public is aware of it, then you are in breach of the law.  This is how it
is done with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the USA.

I do not know which category you belong but there is room to propose how
you see the way forward.

Regards

Ndemo.