[kictanet] Consequences of Media Regulation??

Bill Kagai mediacorp.research at mediacorp.co.ke
Tue May 22 00:20:21 EAT 2007

Bwana PS,

Taking que from your latest post, allow me to express myself in 4
quick/short bullets regarding my personal concern on Media Regulation.

1. I run a company <www.mediacorp.co.ke> whose business is modelled in
doing research on capital markets including the NSE and selling our
findings  to subscribed clients. The proposed regulation that
researchers and analysts including their families not to trade in
shares is of great concern.

2. Regulating local companies will give international competition
undue advantage. e.g. Will the same rule apply to researchers and
analysts employed by Reuters, Bloomberg, CNBC who run similar services
and are busy setting up shops in Kenya??

3. If our main mode of dispatch is via internet, will regulation still
be enforced because our website is locally registered?? If we change
to a <.com>, and register the company outside the country, will we
enjoy immunity enjoyed by foreign competition??

4. Is media sent via internet also within the regulation ambit?? Will
this apply only to <.co.ke> or will Kenyans prefer to use <.com> to
'avoid' regulation.

Sir, before the proposed regulation, our concern was getting accurate
research to many Kenyans who have invested in stocks especially those
in the diaspora who do not have access to newspapers and local news.
Many were requesting more infomation on how the law protects their
investments if say.. a brokerage closes down...but it seems our
efforts will be nipped right in the bud by the proposed regulation.

Sir, Please guide me if my fears are unfounded...Source of my concern
is from the story posted on Business Daily here
<http://bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1070&Itemid=3880>

--
With Kind Regards,
Bildad Kagai