[kictanet] Day 5 - Statistics on Affordability- CCKInternetStudyReport

Alex Gakuru alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:03:47 EAT 2007

Allow me speak a little deeper "Kenyan" to put the point across citing
discussed and concluded OFC and we risk being led into mark timing in OFC
tar pit by oligopolists engineers whose ultimate prize is e-government
content flowing through "their network". This ultimate prize is worth trying
anything because at this moment in time, that dream is highly threatened.

One gets the impression there are deep-seated fears regarding market
positioning with the imminent true competition that is round the corner.

Forget "National Development", "Consumers", "Universal Access" - those will
be collateral casualties along the way. This far, consumers menu is BOLDLY
printed by as follows:

1. Recipe:- Private Sector (wants, need, partners, sponsors, social
responsibility...)

Appetizer (WiFi)
1. Butterflies
2. Butterflies
3. Butterflies

Wine MAXima (WiMAX the - drink)
1. MINE
2. MINE
3. MINE

FIBRE Main Course
-I want and must have it all, I will pull a few for my telco buddies....

Dessert Consumed (Consumers)
-------
No need to repeat "competition alone despite all that is said about it was *
not* known to benefit consumers.  Particularly where duopolies or
oligopolies exits because Product and Price shadowing often takes centre
stage and one is not sure that the alternatives are not exorbitant. The
regulator must also enforce QOS.

He added that the consumer must also be ready for a vibrant market and take
up alternatives that make the best "cents".  He /She must be able to walk
out and perhaps to an ombudsman (regulator) where QOS is not as per SLA or
other" <OFC_Online_Discussion_Report2.doc>
I do not see anything wrong with a cost conscious government saving on all
telephone calls and by having a government-owned network throughout the
country by investing wisely on cheap fibre cable. (telcom) private sector is
broader that 2 GSM duopolist, a couple of PDNOs, and a few LLOs.

Alex