[kictanet] Technical Glitches

Odhiambo WASHINGTON wash at wananchi.com
Thu May 3 12:47:00 EAT 2007

* On 03/05/07 01:29 -0700, Alex Gakuru wrote:
| I have not received any of the messages attached and I had to dig the
| kictanet archives to view them. This is about my fourth time to
| complain about my messages being affected by this glitch.

Hello Mr. Gakuru,

I for sure feel the pain you are going through.

| One feels it would be good practice for the technicians responsible to
| ensure online freedom of information while we collectively front
| advocacy for the same from government.

There is no censorship going on at all so I believe there is no problem
on that angle.

| Should the continued glitches affect only some subscribers, then there
| would be good grounds to seek alternative kictanet list hosting server,
| just like we had kiplist in Canada then for fear of government
|censorship.
|
| A thorough reply would be appreciated

The truth of the matter is that we (wananchi) had our outbound SMTP
servers blacklisted. This led to the same servers being "rate limited"
by servers that handle inbound mail for yahoo users.
So, the problem doesn't only affect you but also Walu, as well as
everyone else whose mail goes out through Wananchi servers.

The reason we got blacklisted is within our control but not a problem
that is easy to mitigate: One of our customers made their server an
"Open Relay". Their server uses out SMTP servers to send outbound mail.
Spammers used this client's server to bang yahoo with several million
mail, but as you can see this was done via our servers. Servers
belonging to customers are not controlled by us, so it's not quite
practical that we will not see such a problem again. However, the
sad thing is that this problem has persisted for 4days, which calls
for some serious tongue-lashing (reprimand?) for our engineers
responsible for monitoring systems, as they are supposed to have noticed
this within a few minutes of commencement.

I am sincerely very sorry for this mishap, and I can only assure you
that I am on top of it as I write. I promised Walu last evening that
I will address the problem.

I do hope you understand that there is no censoring involved. It's
simply a "human weakness", but tragic!

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
						 --from a /. post