[kictanet] Week 1 Online Discussion Summaries- CCK Internet Report

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 03:51:13 EAT 2007

Mucheru,

A while back ISPs demanded licensing of several IGBOs to compete with Telkom
resulting in the current scenario >> they cannot shift the blame to the regulator.

Inter-providers mistrust resulting in redundancy of a multitude of infrastructure is
good for the consumer because that increases items in the basket of choices.

I always thought "competitive advantage" was the name of the game hence now
so many (local and international) fibres "competing" to compete Kenyans?

Government can only "encourage" not force sharing nor "trust" among operators:-
--
National ICT Policy :

3.3.1 Information Technology Infrastructure " The Government will encourage
the sharing..."

5.17    NETWORK SECURITY AND RELIABILITY
Regulations will therefore be developed to ensure that such infrastructure and
networks are robust and resilient and have adequate security, redundancy and
backup arrangements..."
---

On their network, Vodafone and Orange do not want cheap internet innovation
lowers internet cost and increases consumer choice particularly VoIP 30
million+ consumers are affected. Vodafone to be Sued for VoIP Blocking?
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,131425/article.html>

Way Forward: Just let them providers comfortable in the city be. When they
realise how profitable rural connectivity can be, they will either follow suite or
their businesses will undergo the usual ecosystem consequences.

9.6 ROLE OF CONSUMERS AND USERS

Consumers and users will be expected to participate in ensuring:

a)    Universal access and affordability of ICT services;
b)    Quality of services is maintained; and
c)    Continued review of Government policy in accordance with technological
and consumer trends.

Alex   (with ICAK hat on)

mucheru at wananchi.com wrote: Walu,

I think in my view the Internet study clearly showed that the market
structure promoted by CCK has not worked! Why are many ISPs building their
own infrastructure through either PDNOs or IBGOs? The study clearly showed
that there is no TRUST!! In the Internet market. What do I mean?

The Market structure is clear ISPs do not build infrastructure, they buy
from licensed infrastructure providers. This would eliminate the need for
building multiple networks and ensure we are more dispersed in the
country. This is not been the case, we now have about  8 IBGO's in Nairobi
and and two operating out of Nairobi why? Trust me if all ISPs were buying
capacity through two providers the price would be significantly lower. But
since there are all these competing gateway operators the country does not
get the necessary economies of scale. That is on the international part

The local loop, we have approximately 7 operating PDNOs in Nairobi and
they too are competing for the same clients in the same space instead of
utilising the economies of scale!! Where are they in the rural areas ...

My view is the regulator did not do enough to ensure the market structure
was fully followed and therefore some people took advantage today there is
NO TRUST! in the internet market and most ISPs have opted to build their
own networks.

I personally believe with a good competition framework and regulation we
could begin to see some TRUST between operators and service providers and
we could solve this Internet problem once and for all.

Further to this, the consumers and the service providers too are going to
be the next fighters if the lack of a competitive framework continues.
TRUST!!! Again will be lost (if not already).

We lost an opportunity and I think and know the problem is TRUST!! How do
we build the trust? Is it already too late to do so?

--
Joseph Mucheru
mucheru at wananchi.com