[kictanet] RELIANCE MISSES OUT ON SNO LICENCE IN KENYA

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Mon Mar 19 12:45:24 EAT 2007

Muriuki,

Issues well raised and am sure the government would like to listen.

I would suggest that a KICTANET meeting at which the larger framework
of vertical as opposed to horizontal layering or unified licensing as
opposed to Open Access of the communication system is discussed in
detailed with the pros and cons. This meeting should end with some
majority consensus and should have all the stakeholders so that as
sector we are clear at least on the framework of our engagement going
forward.

I would also submit that a seperate meeting at which the local
ownership of foreign stake and the mechanism for SME uptake as well
as growth path is clearly outlined so that whiles you need some big
fishes now you can also create your own big fishes in the future and
more so as the sector progress with time.

Eric here

On 19 Mar 2007, at 11:58, Muriuki Mureithi wrote:

> It is time we reviewed the bidding system this country has
> adopted   to
> remove conflict of policy interest and move this country forward.
> We must
> address ourselves to the purpose of the licence - is it to  make
> money for
> the government to fill treasury gaps or to expand the
> telecommunications
> infrastructure. By demanding to have the cake and eat it, we are
> nowhere   5
> years after starting the process of SNO and Third Cellular
> Operator. It is a
> lesson well documented in countries that Kenya copied ref Senegal
> and Malawi
> among others. At the heart of the conflict is a government stating
> that ICT
> is the driver of growth   yet put barriers   which cripple the
> operators
> even before they start.
>
> The requirements of local partnership while sweet for political
> reasons is
> difficult to realise because the international partners have
> inadequate time
> to assess the right partner and hence the problems for SNO and third
> cellular
>
> We need immediate action
> - first, scrap the requirement of 30% local owner by the time of
> application
> of licence  but require that within 3 years the winner has brought
> on board
> local shareholders through the stock exchange and raise ownership
> to at
> least 49% by year 5 of operation . This has worked well for Tz
> - Second, the licence is not a cash cow - we need infrastructure
> badly now
> therefore that licence money should be invested to enable the  new
> entrant
> to compete with the incumbents  and roll out rapidly .  Licence
> should not
> cost more that USD1. What the entrants should compete with is the
> cash they
> will invest in Kenya and the timeline.
> -finally, CCK should address the anomaly of conflicting policies it
> issues.
> In 2004, CCK issued a policy which translates to adoption of
> horizontal
> licensing regime to move away from vertical licensing regime. The SNO
> licence is in direct contradiction of the 2004 policy. Was the policy
> rescinded? The danger of the unified licence is that it denies
> Kenyan ICT
> entrepreneurs a natural growth path and condemns Kenya to
> permanently have
> few mega operators and many small operators   without a path to
> migrate from
> small to big. Should the envisaged fast growing economy to vision
> 2030 be
> hinged on few mega operators whose power can sometimes rival the
> [...]

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"