[kictanet] My Evening in Jail (O.K, next to Jail)

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 19:32:27 EAT 2007

Brian,

Integrating below developments from news just received (courtesy of  news at canarie.ca), your suggestion is not a dream but the way to go >>>>

/Alex

----forward----

http://gigaom.com/2007/03/06/bt-to-invest-in-fon/

BT to Invest in FON?

FON, the Spanish share-your-Wi-Fi services company, is close to announcing a
new round of funding that could total to as much as 10 million Euros (shade
over $13 million.)

While some of its existing investors - Index Ventures, Skype and Google -
that British Telecom is going to invest in the wireless router company.

FON is the latest start-up by Spanish telecom entrepreneur, Martin
Varsavsky, who has made a name for being a thorn in the side of incumbents.
When I visited BT last summer while reporting a story for Business 2.0, the
senior management of the British incumbent carrier was pretty bullish on the
whole notion of dual-mode phones and municipal wireless.

Dual-mode phones are phone that have Wi-Fi and cellular capabilities in one
single handset, and in an ideal world there is a seamless handoff between
the two networks once you are in range of a Wi-Fi network

While this does seem like a distant dream, eventually it will happen. Nokia,
for instance, is pretty confident that most of its mobile phones in the near
future will have Wi-Fi capabilities built into them. BT can offer voice (and
other services) over Wi-Fi when in range of a FON node, and when out of
range it can switch to the Vodafone network for cellular access.

T-Mobile USA is trying something similar up in the U.S. Northwest, though it
is through a customer\'s own Wi-Fi network. Free.fr of France has also been
playing with a similar idea and has bundled FON-like software in its
residential gateways.

send a blank e-mail message to
news-join at canarie.ca

To UNSUBSCRIBE:
send a blank email message to
news-leave at canarie.ca

These news items and comments are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect
",1] );  //-->are coming back with more cash, the word from telecom circles in Europe is
[...]

--ends--