[kictanet] [ke-internetusers] Communication Tariffs

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 08:01:34 EAT 2007

[Sorry, got this one late.]

I find difficulties praising one for fulfilling their
legal obligation and I am on record complaining that
when KRA awarded Safaricom a trophy for being the
biggest Tax Payer.

Let alone "among other responsibilities", reading each
of the CCK's Annual Reports clearly shows their
consumer protection record has not been so good when,

"Under sections 23 and 47 of the Kenya Communications
Act of 1998, the Commission is required to ensure that
communications services are provided throughout Kenya
and that the interests of all users of these services
are protected with respect to prices charged for and
the quality and variety of those services among other
responsibilities."

I assure do not seen each other eye-to-eye with
neither of the duo nor the incumbent. Sustained
consumer advocacy assertiveness is what is changing
CCK from wishing away the above clause for the first
time actually "doing" something(s).

CCK or operators? Engaging operators via the law and
under the watchful eye of the regulator is the only
way consumer protection will be inculcated in this
industry. That is why it is sad that the ICT Bill
before Parliament fails to strengthen consumer
protection in line with government policy.

Thus, consumer protection is not a telcos/CCK favour
but a right.

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/alex.gakuru%40yahoo.com