[kictanet] Communication Tariffs

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 14:28:25 EAT 2007

Hello All,

The consumer network has a problem and we are
wondering if you may be able to assist.

We are aware that consumers do not have tariffs
information sufficiently; permanently, readily and
freely available and they end up incurring
communication costs they could have avoided
had that information existed.

In addressing this problem, last week we wrote
to Safaricom, Celtel and Telkom asking them to
provide us with their current comprehensive tariffs
to enable us compare contrast and independently
and freely advice consumers on the best priced
offerings, and on regular basis.

We intend(ed) to publish the comparative analysis
at a website, print brochures post to mailing list
among other dissemination avenues.

We copied that email to CCK to observe protocol

However, only Safaricom sent us this data(on the
same day), but Telkom and Celtel have continue
ignoring ou request even declined to reply the
email. We requested CCK to assist us but we
are yet to receive, if at all, the help.

We are further questioning the urgency, need and
importance CCK gav to purchasing their shs 50
million call drop monitoring equipment and
wondering if really it was no just meant to "assist"
consumers stay connected to exorbitant calls
cost, considering that when we ask then to help
consumers with a simple cost-free support they
fail us.

We need your ideas on how we can arrest
renegade pricing cost in Kenya because it
appears those legally tasked to protect
consumers are not doing as much as they
should.

All ideas and suggestion on what we should
do are most welcome.

Alex Gakuru
ICT Consumers Association of Kenya (now refused certificate)