[kictanet] Kenyan Ministry Joins Push for Telcoms Tax Cuts

alice alice at apc.org
Sun Jun 10 23:28:05 EAT 2007

KenyaN Ministry Joins Push for Telcoms Tax Cuts

The ministry of Information and Communications is backing efforts by
mobile companies to have taxes levied on the industry reduced. peaking
during the ITU's

Forum on Telecommunications Regulation in Africa, Information and
Communication Minister, Mutahi Kagwe, said there is need for a tax cut.

"I think there is a case for it. But of course, you have to balance the
need for the reduction and the Government's need for revenue," he said.

The forum, hosted by the Communication Commission of Kenya (CCK) and
attended by other Africa regulators, was convened to discuss ways of
raising access to telecommunication services, by making it possible for
service providers to share network and other common infrastructure.
obile telephone operators want tax on mobile calls reduced and excise
duty removed.

"I am negotiating with my colleague in Treasury to see what can be
reduced," he said, but declined to disclose whether the pleas will be
factored in this year's budget. That, I will leave to the minister
(Finance) but I hope he will consider the proposal," Mr Kagwe said.

The idea to encourage sharing of infrastructure is borne out of the
realisation that it could lower entry costs for new companies to
participate in the telecommunication industry, increasing competition
and lowering access costs to users. Infrastructure sharing holds
tremendous promise for Africa, where investment in ICT development is
yet to match market demand," CCK Director-General John Waweru said. he
commission, he disclosed, is in the process of developing a framework to
facilitate harmonious infrastructure sharing, and will be out in three
weeks.

(SOURCE: The Nation )