[kictanet] TOP STORY FROM BALANCING ACT: GOOGLE APPOINTS WANANCHI'S MUCHERU TO HEAD UP ITS NEW OPERATION

alice alice at apc.org
Sun Jun 10 23:27:03 EAT 2007

TOP STORY: GOOGLE APPOINTS WANANCHI'S MUCHERU TO HEAD UP ITS NEW OPERATION

Google is moving outside of the continental comfort zones for most
global investors, North and South Africa, and is opening its first
operation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kenya has been chosen as the base camp
for what is likely to turn into a sub-regional business. It has chosen
Joseph Mucheru, former CEO of Wananchi to be its Site Lead- Kenya and
although he has barely got his feet under the desk, Russell Southwood
spoke to him about what Google might be doing, infrastructure
initiatives and Kenya's media and communications bills.

Q: With more competitive markets in Kenya, it's an exciting time for
anyone in the telecoms and Internet markets there. So why did you leave
Wananchi?

Strategically, Wananchi is going into building infrastructure. There's
no denying there's a huge need for it but I've always had a passion for
content and applications. In the past, I've always been dragged into
infrastructure to support my web business.

Also this is the first time an international content player like Google
has entered this market and it's very exciting. And this is another
reason I've chosen to work with them.

Q: So what's Google want to do?

Initially there will be three big things. Firstly, we want to optimise
the use of Google applications in the region. We already have a lot of
customers in the region but further development of the market is
hindered by the absence of an international cable offering cheap
bandwidth. Google understands that this is an impediment and is willing
to go to the extent of buying international bandwidth that locals don't
have to pay the current considerable premium they are.

The second thing they want to develop is their Maps product to make sure
it has local information that is searchable and useful.

The third thing is using Google advertising in ways that can help
monetize local content. Lots of people have done local content but most
times it's flopped. We hope to show that there's a way of doing
advertising that can support content. If we can do this, it will
generate jobs and work.

But I should say clearly that I've only been with the company a week..

Q: So what's your role?

I'll be the Site Lead - Kenya and will lead a whole team. I'll be
involved in facilitating all the initiatives going on in the area.

The company is massive but works in small teams. So I'll help determine
what can be done and be pro-active about making it happen which means
I'll be acting in an entrepreneurial way.

Q: I hear that Google is also interested in policy issues?

Google has an interest in what's happening in terms of policy and has a
policy team and they want to have someone in every region. Their concern
is to ensure that when policy is made that it benefits all of mankind.
So it is willing to support someone who will participate in policy
debates. So for example, here in Kenya, that person might look at the
media and communications bills and Google would be able to lend its
support and bring in its experience of these issues from elsewhere.

Q: So as a Kenyan what do you personally make of these two pieces of
legislation?

I've looked at the Communications Bill and I think that there are
certain things that would be disastrous, particularly for e-commerce.
For example, it says that you will need to get a licence to get a
sub-domain and this cuts right across existing global practice. The
second thing is that the Bill says that certification authorities must
have licences. In effect, it's saying that for Verisign to be recognised
it must get a licence from CCK.

Q: What issues are there with the media bill?

There's an issue in terms of the registration and deregistration of
journalists. I'm happy that's what being suggested would work with the
current Government but it would be a great deal less good under a bad
Government.

Q: How will journalists be registered?

The Government will decide on the basis of qualifications and writing if
an individual will get a licence to practice as a journalist. There must
be a way of monitoring standards but something more like a Media Council
needs to be set up to monitor the licensing. Something more like the Law
Society of Kenya in relation to lawyers. This would have an independent
board but the Government might have a single seat but would be equal to
everybody else on that board.

Q: I understand that there are also some definitional difficulties with
the legislation?

Yes, it defines broadcasting as anything that is broadcast speech like
radio and moving pictures like television. Currently whether this
applies to something like You Tube is very vague.

Also on a separate issue, the regulator is required to determine the
content of the programming code. We can't expect CCK to do that. We need
to be able to review these issues so they don't become monumental.