[kictanet] Holding our Leaders Accountable(delay in response)

Fatma Bashir fbashir at cyberschooltech.com
Fri Jun 8 16:25:07 EAT 2007

hello all,

sorry, this is my late input, I have just come in from Rwanda to meet with RITA officials this body is currently headed by a gentle man by the name of Nkubito Bakuramutsa.

The body is mandated to coordinate/project manage/asisst in implementing all ICT related projects handled by other arms of the ministry (Among other things I am sure). They have 150 projects to deliver in this phase of the NICI plan ( 2006-2010) they have 50 members of staff to do this with, and this is the kind of speed I am talking about below:

Nkubito was going to be away but confirmed his meeting with us and passed it on to his deputy, who the minute he saw our IT solutions and applications set up meetings with the Ministers of Education and the Minister of Science Research and Technology. Plus the head of curriculum developement and the PS education, who welcomed us like we had set meetings with them a few weeks ago, all protocols observed!. All in 3 days. we were out on Thursday and when we went in we only had two meetings - at RITA and PS education! I am sure not all is hunky dory in terns of implementation at RITA but the will and drive and desire from the top is there...you can see it clearly...and by the way the boss at RITA has 6 months to prove he is capable or .....:-(

The two ministers were not only ICT literate but were discussing our solutions at an application and deployment level without any asistants hovering. They were clear about their expectations and even brought issues of platforms, capacity building and content management systems etc etc. One incidentally is a PHD teacher, she took up ICT courses, to ensure she is not left out of the picture.

My point, it may be one thing to provide our people in office with ICT knowledge but how do we then ensure that it translates to activity that will work for us on the ground?

The idea of interns or assistants is not a bad one but they cannot go into all meetings with their ministers and also spontaneity and ability to see a good idea when it hits you on the head is something we may not be able to guarantee?

I beleive we are setting up ICT bodies such as the one mentioned above, I hope such a body will be able to help us implement even 75 projects only, in the next 3 years. Or maybe I am being ignorant and we do already have such a body (forgive me if is this is the case)

This is the leaf I would borrow from Rwanda.

Dont focus on the technology only, focus on the benefits the user will gain and also ( depending on the office) be able to pass on to the wider public body, after all that is why they are our representatives. ( I hope Alex is cheering me on?)

Fatma Bashir