[kictanet] Controversial Media Bill is Amended

Kanja Waruru kanjawaruru at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 14:00:13 EAT 2007

Dear All,
The Parliamentary Select Committee invited
stakeholders to Msa to discuss the Media Bill 2007.

In brief, the name of the Bill was changed it will now
be referred to as the Media Council of Kenya Bill.

The powers given to the minister to appoint the
chairman of the council has been removed.

The govt will not have the power to regulate the
media, this will be left to the media council.

The creation of the Media Advisory body has been
deleted from the new bill.

The organization to nominate members of the council
have been reduced from 14 to 9.

This Bill allows Media to Self Regulate, the earlier
Bill allowed the govt to regulate the media.

Govt will fund the media council.

We hope that parliament doesn't reverse the above.
Cheers.
Kanja

http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry.asp?premiumid=0&category_id=25&newsid=99397