[kictanet] reading Media Bill 2007.

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 11:44:42 EAT 2007

Becky, a conflict resolution view. Disputants get down talking not dig any
deeper into in their respective trenches, take home negotiated agreements.
<http://www.beyondintractability.org/essay/batna/>

Otherwise, "Those who dig ideological trenches on this issue are making
people nervous and therefore harming the economy," Gerhard Schroeder
on  ending  DaimlerChrysler dispute over cost cuts (in 2004)

Rebecca Wanjiku <rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com> wrote: if what happened during the referendum is anything to go by, then we should read this bill, not wait for somebody else to tell us what it says, (media bill and KCA (amendment) bills were sent to the list last week)

this is underlined by the fact that the media is only debating what is perceived to be wrong and does not give what else is right in the bill,

the debate between KUJ and MOA and the support of opposing views underscores the unspoken war between journalists and the media owners,

the struggle is there, there are unspoken feelings, but as long as union officials work in the media house, such challenges and problems are not spoken of,

so i suggest we read the bill then discuss it in a more balanced way,

the views are welcome
regards

ibrahim yussuf <yussuf at lawyer.com> wrote: Dear All
I can't say that i have read the media bill,but the little that i have read in the media is lopsided and based on their side of the story.The only complains that i keep on hearing in the numerous talkshows that are aired on the TV only highlights the point that the coposition of the media council is not good or is made up of people who are not of that proffession.They dont come up to say anything else about the various clauses which will hinder their progress or how the government is trying to oppress them,am not trying to say that its not there but those are the things which should be highlighted for us to be able to support their arguments well.One funny thing that came out in one of those talkshows is that the KUJ was not with the media owners and that the bill would be very good for the them(KUJ).i believe that the bringing in of models and comedians as journalist has set the precedence for the government to bring in non-media guys  to regulate the media,we should not
 kill this bill just because the owners of the media are not happy,their first obligation is to their shareholders and not to the general public.

=
Skillsoft e business
Visit SkillSoft.com now and find corporate e-learning solutions.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=7dfd8a4e1be2404287414c5f047dadaf

Rebecca  Wanjiku,
journalist,
p.o box 33515,