[kictanet] Media Bill 2007.

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Mon Jun 4 20:58:15 EAT 2007

Dear All,
The issue as to who sits on the council is a non issue since the bill
takes care of different stakeholders and all of those affecting the
industry such as:
Media Owners Association
Kenya Union of Journalists
Writer's guild
Media Education Trainers Association.

They could propose other names as they wish but the bill proposed other
stakeholders such as:
Law Society of Kenya
A representative from the dissabled (because our society for many years
has discriminated such groups)
A representative from Cotu (Many issues around Media is as a result of
poor pay to Journalists which unfortunately leads to corruption)
A representative from the Chamber of Commerce
Kenya Bankers Association (No specific reason for including it but simply
because it is a professional organization)  If nobody wants it there then
remove it.

Please note even as the list is criticised, nobody proposes relevant
organizations that ought to be there.

Arguments that Journalism should not be equated to other professions since
many people write to the papers is baseless.  Yes many people contribute
but it is the editor who selects what is appropriate for people to read or
hear.  There is a distinct line between a professional journalist and a
contributer.  The bill does not impede any person from making
contributions.  Does it mean that anything we write should be published
without editing?

Regards

Ndemo.

> Dear All
> I can't say that i have read the media bill,but the little that i have
> read in the media is lopsided and based on their side of the story.The
> only complains that i keep on hearing in the numerous talkshows that are
> aired on the TV only highlights the point that the coposition of the media
> council is not good or is made up of people who are not of that
> proffession.They dont come up to say anything else about the various
> clauses which will hinder their progress or how the government is trying
> to oppress them,am not trying to say that its not there but those are the
> things which should be highlighted for us to be able to support their
> arguments well.One funny thing that came out in one of those talkshows is
> that the KUJ was not with the media owners and that the bill would be very
> good for the them(KUJ).i believe that the bringing in of models and
> comedians as journalist has set the precedence for the government to bring

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.