[kictanet] Media Bill 2007.

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 06:50:53 EAT 2007

Brian, considering that Kenyans no longer accept perception but rather data-based proof, policies, legislation and regulation, why cannot the media businesspersons highlight their concerns on the list pointing specific clauses on the bill (thanks Alice for the soft copy) then listers contribute?

There cannot be self-regulation absent penalties for basking wrongs committed,
for example,suppose all 8 million gsm subscribers were on the "cheapest" tarriff at about 16 shillings per minute and a fixed daily charge of Kshs 14.50 irrespective whether any call is made. This translates to DAILY shillings 116,000,000 millions (or shs 0.16 billion) "revenue" by telcos while no-one actually made any call nor used any of their services, add the bigger revenues from actual calls.....and we keep asking what ruins prosperity?

Because telecommunications tariffs self-regulation failed and is impoverishing Kenyans forcing regulatory intervention (likely also in petroleum?) but do we take it that the media businesses do not want a government-led  disciplinarian entity?

Perhaps this is not about press freedom rather media houses corporate profits?

 Brian Longwe <brian at isisweb.nl> wrote: Bwana Ndemo,

I could not agree with you more. I have been appalled and dismayed at
the outrageous response that has come about regarding the Media Bill.

The mere fact that it is a Bill means that this is the time for
whoever has anything to change/remove/add should do it. It is not yet
a law until it has passed public review, parliamentary review and
government review.

I was even shocked today to hear some politicians who I used to have
respect for referring to it as a draconian law designed to stifle and
control - I don't even think the individual had any idea about the
background and origin of the Bill.

I think it's time for truth and clarity to come forth.

Brian