[kictanet] Fwd: Parliament-in-a-box

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 10:03:17 EAT 2007

Wish List!

Parliament-in-a-box
Have a look at

www.bungeni.org and
www.parliaments.info

On 7/6/07, Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक
नोरोनया] <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
Basically, a whole lot of office tools that make
governance accountable to the citizen. Easy-to-create
websites for so many departments (opensourcecms.com is
a good source).

How to place online the tonnes of parliamentary
information that is churned out, but seldom reaches
the commonperson. All those PDF and other tools for
sharing information.

I think parliamentary officials need to think of
transparency above every thing else. Many of us have
'representative' types of democracies, following the
Westminister model,because it was British colonialism
that ruled our countries.

There is the assumption that the citizen would
vote for his or her representative, once every five
years or whatever. And the rep would then represent
the citizen. What happens when the citizen doesn't
have
a clue as to what the representative is doing in his
or her name? This may be on account of wider problems
like
illiteracy. Or the lack of transparency, disinterest,
and the fact that the poor (the largest section in
many of our countries) are too busy struggling with
their
lives to be able to focus on such esoteric matters.

We need to look at how free software can make a real
difference here. I guess it would be a mix of many
existing solutions, from diverse fields. FN/ Goa,
India

On 06/07/07, Cecilia Matanga <cmatanga at sadcpf.org
 <cmatanga%40sadcpf.org>>
wrote:

We are planning a FOSS workshop for IT staff of
Parliament and was just wondering what sort of tools
are available and could be included in a
Parliament-in-a- box.

Also if someone has had training for Parliaments,
could they share their training programme and
materials with me.

Regards,
Cecilia Matanga
ICT Officer