[Kictanet] Day 3 of 10: What are the existing Business Models for OFC provision?

Brian Longwe brian at pure-id.com
Thu Jan 25 16:02:49 EAT 2007

For once I get to make my comment on the day it is due (good job,
Brian - keep it up) .......  {I heard that when you start talking to
yourself you should get worried..... how about when you start sending
email to yourself?}

HAHAHAHA!

Anyway on a more serious note, some years ago I had a v. interesting
dialog on this issue of submarine infrastructure. The people I was
talking to (don't remember exactly who)  {is loss of memory a sign of
age, senility, insanity or all 3 together} hehehe.....

---as I was saying, the people I was talking to mentioned that the
perfect model has existed for the longest time in the oil & gas
pipelines in different parts of Europe. These cross multiple
jurisdictions, are critical to the livelihoods and economies of all
the stakeholders, support the existence and stability of a wide
spectrum of sectors, and at the end of day provide something that an
individual or family pays for.

Taking all of the above into consideration - these projects are
deliberately designed not to make a profit. (In fact it was hinted
that some of them are designed to make a loss - pssst don't say
anything to the banks - snicker, snicker, hee, hee)

So at the end of the day you have a consortium<ouch> or group of
parties that come together to form an SPV <yay> which then raises the
funds required and builds the damn thing - so that all the various
"downstream" parties can make their money, needless to say this helps
the circulation of currency, etc, etc, etc...

So, my take is that OpenAccess - SPV - build at cost - don't aim for
profit - facilitate growth elsewhere is the way to go....

I'll stop now because if I don't I may start writing some of the
things I want to say to myself in a separate email ;-)

Brian