[Kictanet] What Model for EASsy, TEAMS, et al?-(2weeks Online Discussion)

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 10 19:51:34 EAT 2007

Greetings all,

I have been given the un-enviable task by KICTAnet to lead
an online discussion on the type of model we in East Africa
would prefer for our long awaited submarine fiber cable(s).

The task is un-enviable because it is not only regional and
complicated and but probably belated as well.  However, it
is worth reviewing for purposes of bringing everyone upto
speed with the importance and the issues surrounding
fiber-optic connectivity to the global super-highway
(internet).

I will basically be taking us through what I gather are the
issues as per the questions/themes below:

The Questions/Issues
1) Why do we need International Optical Fiber Connectivity?
(1day)
2) What are the existing (and possible) Business/Financial
models for Optical Fiber Submarine Cables?(2days)
3) What are the existing (and possible) Regulatory models
for Optical Fiber Submarine Cables?(2days)
4) What would be the ideal model for East Africans? (2days)
5) How will this (ideal) model impact on the existing
stakeholders(Consumers, Operators, Regulators,etc)(2days)
6) How can conflicting stakeholder interest be
resolved?(2days)

And hope that you guys can interject with your comments,
objections and clarifications.  Your comments would be
highly appreciated because you are the operators, the
regulators, the private sector investors, the Govt, etc. I
shall only set the tone, you shall give the views.

So get ready, starting next Monday 15th Jan - Sat 27th Jan
to participate in this very important discussion.

walu.