[kictanet] ICT Opportunity alert: is Age a factor?

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 11:58:37 EAT 2007

Njeri,

one message i read here is that Africans have failed to
harness the benefits of youthful talent.  The youth have
the ideas and the energy to move forward  BUT they lack the
opportunities and the authority to do so.

The private sector locally and abroad have managed to tap
into this youthful talent (Equity, Google, Popote, eBay,
Bidco, etc are some quick examples) but unfortunately, the
.KE government and their key parastatals are yet to exploit
this age factor...I can tell you from my own observation
(not Steadman ;-) that in most public organisations, the
average age of the top 5 executives is 50+ (ouch!)

I know in Africa age comes with wisdom (for the lucky ones)
but I also know from a personal level that the older I am
getting the less likely I am going to take certain
(business) risks. And as a national economy we are
competing against economies/organisations that are run by
executives whose average age is probably 25-35, not more
than 40.

These kids hit the road running while we continue to crawl.
They see an (ICT) opportunity and they do not have the
hassle of trying to sell the idea to some Boss/Authority
who fails to understand it, or understands it 2years later-
when the technologies have already changed and the
opportunity exhausted by the other 'faster' economies.

I know our ICT Board has taken cognisance of this (age)
point given that most members are (look?) youthful, But I
am afraid that unless their colleagues in the other sectors
(Health, Education, Agriculture, etc) have the same
(risk-taking) attitude that is common with the youth, they
are going to hit a dead-wall sooner rather than later...

walu.
--- Njeri Rionge <njeri.rionge at igniteconsulting.co.ke>

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jwalu%40yahoo.com