[kictanet] ICT Opportunity alert: Will the true entrepreneurs stand up?

Njeri Rionge njeri.rionge at igniteconsulting.co.ke
Tue Dec 18 12:09:29 EAT 2007

Alice et al,

At this stage, I believe that we all agree they are indeed deficits in the
educational systems that are! There is a need to evolve from a culture,
where instruction based and cramming methodologies, to pass exams, whose
days are long gone, must come to pass. If the government/private sector has
any real intentions in forging economic improvements, it must start with a
serious self-actualization of what works. As follows;

1. We need to identify other methodologies of learning beyond the ones we
focus on and will in most cases die for, the degree process and focus in
this country and others is creating a deadlock for fostering initiative
driven from the self entrepreneurship and open mindedness of thinking out of
the box. Today's Jua Kali is tomorrows economic boost for industry, but one
would argue that these new economy businesses are not poised to meet the
criterions set by those who see things from a narrow and in the box, already
not working poverty eradication concepts. At the end, practical teaching
gains more benefits, and this is a missing link in our educational process
today.

2. The systematic approach methods of developing ICT opportunities and other
areas of possible partnerships, is missing. It is obvious that the current
structure of government is suffering the same major issues of private sector
where decisions are made in silo's and therefore in most cases, have no
connectivity with the larger potential benefit which brings about first
time, first right equals success. The organizations that create capacity to
involve key recourses in their decision-making processes stand a better
chance of knowledge transfer and ability to plan succession. If succession
structures were in place, we would be aligning those stepping out into the
market to take up new positions that foster capacity to bridge the current
glaring gaps, which will hinder growth in the coming years.

3. We need a serious intervention on how we communicate as a people; we also
need to start hearing each other¹s views. They are too much of an adherence
to status quo, anything that is different has to be questioned and then
questioned instead of opening ourselves to possibilities. The fact is we are
a developing economy; we are not the first and or the last to pass through
this passage of development. What I believe we MUST do is to embrace changes
together and to break the structures of the norms. What do I mean? We cannot
continue to use the local benchmarks of the past into the future of Kenya,
we must look at the external benchmarks of other countries, of cause as you
read this you will argue that we do this, well the fact is, since we are not
high risk takers on areas we are not good at, we end up recoiling to local
benchmarks. The extent of this is that our own are recognized by outsiders,
we do not even notice them. Look around youŠ anyway, I must admit that this
is slowly changing, in fact I am very excited by the new approach of
positioning the new generation of entrepreneurs who are up and coming and
moving at very high speeds, which I encourage and appreciate. The only
concern being we are not seeing many of these young and energetic minds
being absorbed in key decision making positions. What I would like to see
more is knowledge transfer from the godfathers and godmothers who need to
move into more advisory roles and leave the busy, working and engagement
structures of boards and executive leadership positions to younger
executives. Again, someone would argue but they are not mature and even not
exposed enough, well, who are these people being lead and coached by???? Who
coached those before you and how is it that you can do it and others cannot
to the relevant extent. In South Africa the Black Empowerment is working,
even though with some difficulty, but working never the less. If you teach a
man how to fish, your better off than feeding him for lifeŠ well the saying
goes something like thatŠ.

4. Well, having been in the training and development arena for one year,
these are my findings.
a) We are not a reading or continuous learning society
b) We are exposed, but narrow minded in our views for change and
improvement, perhaps this is brought about by the fact, since one is
educated (has a degree ('s) they know all that they need to know and they
are therefore not interested in furthering their scope of continued
improvement of knowledge. If one were an expert in IT for instance, how
would you better improve your marketability and scope of understanding the
business dynamics of your area of interest?
c) Self initiative and drive is a value that people must respect, in my
findings, I have realized that people replace their own potential for
success with someone else, other than themselves, of cause this statement
will be used to counter a statement on this very email, but the questions
are, who is leading whom? Where are we headed? What are the values that we
hold and how do those with whom we interact with recognize them. At the end,
this election process should teach us a lesson or two, I cannot wait for the
announcements. But in the end, if you are reading in between the lines, it
is time for ACTION. Seating on the fence is for the fearful and weak.
Forging forward is for the strong and confident in self. Looking at the
entire continent we have a huge potential but we must stand up to be
counted. Let¹s not look at those we know and expect them to take the leap of
faith, they are already doing it, what are you doing??? Secondly, quest for
knowledge without the competency to apply that, that one knows is yet
another area of great weakness. In other words, knowledge should equal
competence coupled with the ability to change the mindset, which of cause
yet another area that needs a paradigm shift.

Well, enough said all is not lost, Kenya is indeed scaling and we need to
forge forward with confidence and ability to cease the moment as Kenyans,
otherwise others will come to benefit. They are already working in your back
yards etcŠ

(If anyone has a contact at the Ministry of Labour and Human Resource
Development (Directorate of Industrial Training) and Ministry of Education
please pass this on...)

My peni bili...

> For more information
> Frédéric Dubois, Information coordinator, frederic at apc.org +1 514 660 0664
> http://rights.apc.org
>

> =======================================
> APC Forum is a meeting place for the APC community - people and
> institutions who are or have been involved in collaboration with
> APC, and share the APC vision - a world in which all people have easy, equal
> and affordable access to the creative potential of information and
> communication technologies (ICTs) to improve their lives and create more
> democratic and egalitarian societies.

> ulting.co.ke

Njeri Rionge
Chief Executive Officer
Ignite Consulting Limited
Eden Square 7th Floor
Chiromo Rd, Westlands
P. O. Box 15568 00100 GPO Nairobi, Kenya
T: (254 20) 3673250‹9
C:(254) (0)722-522-136
E: njeri.rionge at igniteconsulting.co.ke
http://www.igniteconsulting.co.ke

IT Solutions:- eDocuments Management, Data Management, Disaster Preparedness
and Hosting and Management Services for all your IT needs. Services
delivered to you by Ignite Technologies an Ignite Consulting Subsidiary
focusing on Systems Integration.

Professional & Life Skills Coaching, Quality Management Systems, Health
Safety, Food Safety & Environment Management Systems, Lead Auditor Courses
that are Internationally Accredited by IRCA, Training on Conformity and
Compliance based on International Standards (ISO), Business Management,
Organizational Development, Capacity Building and Strategy Facilitation and
Development.