[kictanet] Faith in local web hosting

Joseph Manthi jmanthi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:31:02 EAT 2007

Robert,
I have tried to stay out of this discussion because it sounds to be like we
are talking religious positions. And you what religion has done to the
world. I would like to please consider the following in your discussion
about the merits/demerits of a marine and national fiber backbone
infrastructure.

1. Kenyans needs it like you need BLOOD. Absolutely. The GoK should be
absolutely congratulated for stepping up. No other African, I repeat, no
other African country has done what Kenya has done. Not SA, Naija nor Egypt.
I am telling you Americans in technology are in awe of what Kenya is doing -
at least every American who know the impact that I have talked to.

2. Kenya does not have Natural Reosurces to talk about. And Tourism is not a
NR. When we are done killing the animals, deforestating our land and dire
need for land by the bulging populations overtakes us, then we will
understand the impact of this cable.

3. Home grown business will be able to compete on the International scene
for international businesses.

Now let me try to answer your questions below:

On 12/11/07, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hi Brian,
>
> As you rightfully indicate in your post you are coming in late on this
> discussion, this is the problem with a mailing list unlike a blog or forum
> the history of a discussion is not maintained.

Not true. If you want you can get all the postings that have come and gone

 Thus just to get us on the same page your arguments are actually in support
> of my position, which is that we need to develop local content and hosting
> capacity as well are reliable country wide connectivity before the arrival
> of the fiber optic marine cable.

Yes but that does not mean we do need to fiber connectivity. The fast
connectivity will allow for rich content to be disseminated.

 The road analogy was to explain my point that the cable is a highway which
> needs to arrive when we have already created linkages to the rest of the
> country and not what we seem to be doing which is waiting for the marine
> cable as the panaceas to all our slow internet issues.

The GoK has done what needs to be done from a MACRO level. It is upto you to
do your part on the MICRO level. Create that last mile linkage.

 You do bring an interested issue in your point on the objective of the
> roads as a means to cart off our resources, could the fiber optic cable be a
> modern approach to the same?

This is fear mongering.

Joe

 Regards