[kictanet] Faith in local web hosting

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Mon Dec 3 18:23:25 EAT 2007

Dear All,

Well, i think we need as much activist as we need entrepreneurs and
really i dont think the Dr. Ndemo plays down on one for the other. In
the context of his submission, he renders that given the environment
being created, there is need for entrepreneurs to rise to the
challenge and ensure the uptake of private enterprise.

I personally reckon that we all have important skills, activitist,
entrepreneurs, govenrment, public servants and even the consumers.
Every part of the body, no matter how small is important so i think
thats not really the point however in certain content, certain skills
and expertise are prefered.

Now to the substance of the argument, Alex and Yawe, i would be
shocked if you argue that India is what it is today without
outsourcing. This was possible because of some factors they got right
and the entrepreneurial spirit that rose to the ocassion. Real Estate
was competitive globally, Bandwidth was cheap and today is one of the
cheapest worldwide, skills are abundantly available at globally
competitive level but yet much more affordable etc. Unless we can be
better in these things, we cant attract much more outsourcing, it is
a global market place and we cant be like children playing there...

Eric here

On 3 Dec 2007, at 08:21, Alex Gakuru wrote:

> But Bwana PS,
>
> --- bitange at jambo.co.ke wrote:
>>  The greater problem
>> though is that we have far too many activists than
>> we have entrepreneurs.
>
> This comment is this rather revealing and very
> pointed.
> But if "activism" is this bothering to government,
> then perhaps we could be succeeding far more than we
> imagined and we pray that there are no severe high-
> handed retaliations in waiting:)
>
> 1. There is hardly enough social movement and change
> agents in this area and governments rarely "entertain"
> opposed views. Usually they wish them away so that the
> official position remains the absolute dogmatic truth.
>

> 2. In the last two years of outsourcing, how many NEW
> entrepreneurs have invested dearly in BPOs and how
> much has the country earned?
>
> 3. Provoking Yawes, Gakuru,and others are asking is: -
>
> - In the final analysis,will the cable really help
> much? or will the last chapter of the outsourcing
> gospel be "cable ilitengenezewa na iko na wenyewe"?
> - Why is the PS avoiding guaranteeing the final
> consumer prices?
>
> How many "activists" are standing to you and asking
> these such hard questions? I feel that you should
> encourage more to probe this project if not for
> accountability sake, then to save on future commission
> of enquiries.
>
> But if you do not want the questions please say so.
>
>> Innovative people cannot complain about idle
>> capacity of such a factor of
>> production.  It is criminal that you who is aware of
>> what ICT
>> infrastructure can do to the country that you sit
>> there to complain that
>> it is idle instead of raising awareness to the
>> public and utilizing that
>> asset.
>>

> Excuse me, but it is rather unfair that your
> statements target at "discrediting" the person for
> asking you hard questions. He is your BOSS!
>
> Gakuru

> mailman/options/kictanet/eric%40afrispa.org

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800 ext 2031
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"