[kictanet] Faith in local web hosting

alice alice at apc.org
Mon Dec 3 10:28:55 EAT 2007

Hi Bill and all

I shall respond to issues raised around KICTAnet as an institution,
issues of governance etc.

For those who are not aware, KICTANet started off as a project of the
Association for Progressive Communications (APC) Catalyzing Access to
ICTs (CATIA)  project in Kenya in 2004. The CATIA project aimed at
speeding policy and regulatory processes in 7 African countries.

The KICTAnet was formed during a workshop in October 2004. Founding
members were TESPOK, Media Council, the Kenya WSIS Civil Society Caucus,
Summit Strategies and KIF. The 2004 workshop participants felt that the
vacuum created by the lack of an ICT policy in Kenya was compelling
enough to warrant the formation of an MSN that would work towards
encouraging the government to speed up the development of an ICT policy
and regulatory framework for Kenya in an open, inclusive and
participatory manner. The policy process was finalized and approved by
cabinet early 2006.

The Network however, continued to play a role beyond the ICT policy
process. Initial  founding members therefore felt that to continue to
play its role as an inter-dependent  KICTAnet needed to develop into a
formal and institutionalized network able to stand accountable to its
constituents and not just a project.

The network has faced challenges in finding appropriate structures and
mechanisms for its operations. Therefore, KICTAnet approached IDRC for
support to conduct an assessment to explore ways of dealing with these
challenges. This exercise has looked at the issues that Bill has
raised:  "governance, accountability structures, members, legal
recognition, operational infrastructure, personnel and systems as well
as facilities to support the work of the network in the longer term. The
assessment exercise is near completion with a first draft of the reports
ready for comments.

Evelyne, will be posting the reports of the assessment exercise and we
would like to encourage everyone to have a look at the report and send
comments that will help towards strengthening "this noble institution"
to quote P.S. Ndemo

and yes Bill, agree

Kazi Iendelee!

 best