[kictanet] Laare computing center in Meru

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 08:29:26 EAT 2007

Dear Dr. Ndemo,

Would our Internet Users Education, research and
resource centre qualify for support under this
program?

Throughout 2006 I shared with you our challenges in
education users and the numerous disconnections
considering from service providers. We are convinced
the government should at least support us with
bandwidth because this is not a for-profit initiative.

I thank the Ministry of Informtion and Communications
for launching us in December 2005.

Regards,

Alex Gakuru

http://startupkenya.blogspot.com/2007/08/internet-charity-and-miraa-
> [...]
> > 400km but when we finally met up with Eric he
> insisted on taking us
> > to see the centre. So after checking in to our
> hotel we drove on to
> > Laare, about 10km from Maua. The centre is
> temporarily hosted by the
> > Laare Catholic parish. This stoked the fire of
> conviction that
> > churches form a good backbone for such community
> projects; direct
> > access to the community and structural resources.
> >
> > Our trip to the parish was also our first chance
> to interact with
> > locals of Meru - the priests. Kimeru language is
> not so much spoken
> > as it is sung, with alternating pitch, tempo, and
> rhythm. It was
> > fascinating to listen as the priests and Eric
> weaved kimeru in and
> > out of the English conversation. Our hosts
> generously served us some
> > hot tea and bananas (incredibly huge bananas) as
> they found out about
> > our mission to Meru.
> >
> > Eric also showed us the computers and equipment
> that had been donated
> > by MIT for use in the centre. An impressive number
> of relatively new
> > PCs, laptops, routers and switches all the way
> from Boston were
> > stacked up in one corner of the priests' living
> room waiting for us
> > to set them up the following day.
> >
> > We finally left at around nine o'clock and slowly
> drove back to Maua.
> > Slowly because it was a pitch black moonless night
> and the cold
> > mountain air hitting the warmer tarmac caused
> instant rising mist on
> > the road.
> >
> > Used to Nairobi's fast pace we found ourselves
> still eager to explore
> > the place at that late hour. However the few
> places we checked out
> > were lifeless (it was a Tuesday) so we decided to
> go to the hotel and
> > strategize on the following day. Before retiring
> though we purchased
> > some of Meru's finest.
> >
> > So while chewing on a few choice stems, we tried
> out the EDGE
> > internet connectivity from the hotel room using my
> laptop and my cell
> > phone as a modem. The connection worked quite well
> and I was even
> > able to open my forex trading platform and put in
> a few trades.
> > (Isn't technology wonderful - you can buy and sell
> off Wall Street
> > while in a hotel in Meru right on the slopes of
> Mount Kenya!)
> >
> > I finally gave in at 1:00 am as even the cathinone
> in the miraa could
> > not erase six hours of driving. I left a
> 'cathinoned' Eric sending
> > emails and on the phone with his colleagues in
> Boston late into the
> > night.
> >
> > Watch this space for Day Two coming soon...

=== message truncated ===