[kictanet] Say NO to OOXML campaign

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:19:32 EAT 2007

Dear Listers,

Just to alert you on the ongoing campaign.......this product is
substandard,but M$ is determined to launch it. Please do not get caught in
between and make a wrong decision.... briefly scrutinize the links below and
make a well defined decision. Say NO to this product,sadly M$ has a strong
hold in our country,but its within your rights to demand for a worthy
product.do not be fooled/coarsed or get caught in marketting gimmick. Please
spread this news out and wide.

Kind Regards,

The  campaign to stop Microsoft getting the Office format approved by ISO is
on. MS's OOXML has been proved to be long, incomplete, patented,and
unsuitable as an ISO standard. There is also an existing standard, ODF, as
you know.

The FFII has been fighting OOXML in Europe and Latin America, and FTISA has
beat it in South Africa. Together with these guys, we should be able to kick
OOXML out of the rest of Africa. There are ISO votes in Ghana, Nigeria,
Cote-d'Ivoire, Botswana, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, and Congo. Microsoft
have, I heard, gone to Nairobi in force to try to force the vote there.

What we need to do is work with the ISO national boards to understand
that OOXML is really broken, and we then need to make sure those
boards can't be stuffed with Microsoft puppets, as happened in the US,
Italy, Azerbaijan, Romania, and elsewhere. We just want national
boards to vote "NO" until all the technical problems in the format are
fixed.

The FFII has collected information on this campaign,
see www.noooxml.org.

But to start with, I'd like to invite you to join this mailing list:

Thanks,

- Pieter
ph at imatix.com
--
Judy Ann Okite,
+254-721237507,+254-734252336

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just
sit there."