[kictanet] It's a new twist for Econet Wireless

Mike Theuri mike.theuri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 03:47:25 EAT 2007

Longwe,

I see that you've emerged to fight a rather misguided battle on behalf of
Econet and a certain second party. Shall I mention and reiterate again that
I'm not here to represent the parties you so viciously attack as an agent of
the parties you represent? The matters I have discussed revolve strictly as
reiterated yesterday in what was to be my last note on the matter, but
apparently you could not help but emerge from the shadows solely to cast
your aspersions and bogus insinuations. You obviously have a bone to pick
with someone but I must caution you that you are picking it with the wrong
individual. I strongly suggest that you take these matters up directly with
persons officially and unmistakeably representing parties with whom you can
pick your proxy fights with. If you feel so strongly about the matters, you
also have the option of enjoining yourself in the lawsuits that are pending
as an interested party so you can state your serious allegations and
disparagements under oath and penalty of perjury.

For your information and everyone's information, I am not in the habit of
stating facts that I cannot support and have not made an effort to research.
It is obvious you are once again fighting battles on behalf of other parties
as you have done in other forums. It is indeed difficult to determine if you
are another those parties official mouthpiece or dedicated foot soldier.

Did it ever occur to you that a business plan MUST factor in all overheads a
business is to incur which would include all start up costs and licencing
fees? It does not take rocket science for anyone educated in simple
financial analysis to figure out that this was a flawed tender, where one
need only view the business plan to determine the amount a bidder was going
to present as a financial bid in order to knock them out of contention prior
to the opening of the financial bids. Unlike yourself I took the time and
trouble to locate and research the tender document which on page 10 section
2.2 states unequivocally:

--------------------------
           Commercial feasibility will be demonstrated through the
           development of a detailed business plan. The business plan will
           include references to the technical and operational plans and
will
           also contain a description on marketing plans, investment plans,
           and financial projections.
---------------------------

US$10m, US$55m or US$27m are significant amounts such that their exclusion
from a business plan would impact investment plans and financial projections
making them unworkable. One does not need to see the financial bid to know
what the amount to be bid was. The fact that the tender was broken up into
two portions made it seriously flawed and open to manipulation. I will also
refer you to the Exchequer and Audit Act as well as the regulations, but it
is unlikely you have neither the time or the interest to do this research
provided it contradicts your agenda. It's interesting you make no mention of
KNFC which is the majority shareholder that stalled this fiasco and affront
to Kenyans from taking place.

I demand that you clarify for all to read and see, and for avoidance of any
doubt, given that I am the party you choose to address this message to, and
in which you made the allegation, that I am not a party you refer to as
having engaged in the pathetic and despicable action of going to beg from
foreigners. If you have nothing to hide, you should name and enumerate these
delegations, after all, true statements of fact are not subject to
defamation and civil actions.

I must however point out for all to see, the fallacy with which you sought
to deceive Kenyans reading your message. Strive Masiyiwa is a Zimbabwean
exile living as a South African resident in Johannesburg. He does not live
in Zimbabwe, neither is Econet Wireless International headquartered in
Zimbabwe but in Johannesburg, South Africa. In a attempt to mislead you have
attained the unenviable position of having shot yourself in the foot.

I have no further comment and will not be party to your incredulous attempts
at disparagement. Last but not least, I reluctantly share below messages you
posted in support of the same Minister that you now attack, as well as your
view that the sector is infested with vested interests. The SNO tender was
modeled after the 3rd mobile tender, but in your view you see one as flawed
and the other as not. In some of your posts you argue for due process to
take place but then turn around and attack those who do exactly that. Surely
one cannot be taken seriously when they manufacture propaganda, shift
positions and raise allegations which read like a page from the
foreigners public relations and propaganda handbook. The uncivil nature of
your message is indeed shocking and a departure from many discussions on
various issues.

Mike

 ----- Original Message ----- *From:* Brian Longwe <cto at nbi.ispkenya.com>