[kictanet] * YOUNG COMPUTER EXPERT MAKES AFRICAN VIDEO GAME IN KENYA

alice alice at apc.org
Sun Apr 22 00:38:07 EAT 2007

 From Balancing Act

* YOUNG COMPUTER EXPERT MAKES AFRICAN VIDEO GAME IN KENYA

A young Kenyan computer programmer has produced an adventure video game
he says is first of its kind in Africa. Wesley Kirinya, aged 23,
developed the 3-dimensional action game in his Gwimgrafx Studios in
Nairobi. It is called 'The Adventures of Nyangi.'

The game is about a character named Nyangi who has to find some rare
African artifacts. Each artifact has an interesting and mysterious story
behind it, Kirinya says.
"I want to bring the entertainment from reading a book or watching a
film on African stories into video games." He said the task took him
about three years to accomplish. "Since there are no video game
development schools in Africa, I taught myself the skill," he said.

"I developed this game on a tiny budget. I'm impressed with the outcome,
considering that it costs millions of dollars to develop games using the
latest technology."

The game can be purchased electronically as a digital download from the
website: www.gwimgrafxstudios.com
(SOURCE: Catholic Information Service for Africa )