[kictanet] Ubuntu 'Feisty Fawn' released, hit by traffic

Judy Okite judyokite at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 14:28:17 EAT 2007

On 4/20/07, Odhiambo WASHINGTON <wash at wananchi.com> wrote:

> * On 20/04/07 07:29 -0700, Alex Gakuru wrote:
> | Don't have any data though I can say  nearly all surfers at my cafe
> | use Linux but they have no clue they were using the Linux ("For Human
> | Beings") installed.  Firefox did a good thing to develop identical
> | versions for Ubuntu Desktop and Windows.

"Linux for Human beings" is great, I was using it Last week at IST for my
presentation on installing freebsd,but they did not know the difference,till
I was done and had to shut down.
If you have to conquer,give guys what they already have but in a different
way/version/OS, they are used to GUI so why not Linux but GUI?

The link below may not be the exact picture,bearing in mind that there
non-registered users...but its gives a picture,of what the worl thinks of
Kenya and Linux.

http://counter.li.org/reports/place.php?place=KE

ACK.

> | Education told us here it's policy all public schools PCs must
> | be dual boot, thus one would expect that they all should/shall have
> | one *nix flavour or another which will mean big numbers.
>
> I did not understand the need for dual-boot though. What is it supposed
> to achieve for a non-techie?

I would like to take the dual boot as a good sign,the linux will have to be
taught and make use of that partition. Non-techie,will only become a
techie,once they realise what they've got!

| I chose Ubuntu because of its user-friendliness. Perhaps others chip in?
>
> Perhaps we need a debate on this. I use FreeBSD because I believe I am
> 99% competent in running it, either as a server or desktop PC. I know
> how to make my way around almost over _any_ problem with it. I do
> know for a fact that only a very small percentage of those who say
> "I know Linux" can be able to fix it if it gets broken.

Agreed!!

Mostly, the
> "I know" is based on the GUI being available during install and normal
> use. When a problem comes up, it is the same thing as Windows - when
> the GUI is not there, they are at a loss!
> My thinking is that people should use an OS based on their competence
> with it, user-friendliness notwithstanding.
>
> The OS is just the road. The tools are the applications that you can run
> on it. However one should be able to choose a road they are comfortable
> with.

Does this apply on the availability and cost? People  tend to turn to this
road (linux/OSS) because of this reason not really comfortability...and if
you dont want to fall under the category of "pirators" and be free with your
softwares,not looking over your shoulder,everytime a shadow passes behind!

I think that one of the major things that we do lack is,We don't have/or not
ready to finance technical skills for the development, support and training
for Linux! that is why guys are hesitant. companies would rather pay,for
what they think they know, than venture on what they just hear! and the norm
is who(company) is using it,of my calibre(company)?

To me user-friendly means how fast I can recover from a problem either
> with the OS or the installed applications, GUI or no GUI. Perhaps this
> applies only to me?
>

>         cheers
>        - wash
>
> +----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
> Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi,
> KE)  |
> wash () WANANCHI ! com                  . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita
> St.,  |
> GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100
> NAIROBI             |
> GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 -
> 9             |

Judy Ann Okite,
+254-721237507,+254-734252336
P.O. BOX 2228 00100,
NAIROBI,KENYA.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just
sit there."