[kictanet] Freedom of Information Policy

Alex Gakuru alex.gakuru at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 14:35:35 EAT 2007

bitange at jambo.co.ke wrote: in his capacity as Blackstone Group's represantative.
Hi, news just in...

 Just I came cross this one and I thought it affects listers and relevant
 to this thread. Talks about Blackstone Group  buying Intelsat.

 [zdnet News]

 Intelsat reportedly up for sale
 ZDNet News: April 16, 2007,

 The private equity owners of the world's largest commercial satellite
 operator, Intelsat, have been approached by a potential buyer of the
 company, two sources familiar with the matter said Monday.

 The approach came from a potential buyer in the private equity
 industry, one of the sources said. Credit Suisse is handling sale
 of the satellite company, that source added.

 Intelsat was taken private in August 2004 by four private equity
 firms--Apax Partners, Permira, Apollo Management and Madison
 Dearborn Partners--in a $3.1 billion deal. Months later, Intelsat
 expanded by agreeing to buy another large satellite operator,
 PanAmSat.

 Private equity firms in particular are drawn to the satellite sector
 because of the companies' steady cash flows, which allow them
 to take on large amounts of debt to finance transactions.

 The Wall Street Journal reported on its Web site that Intelsat's
 private equity owners hope to fetch an equity value of up to $6
 billion for the company, which already carries an $11 billion debt
 load. The sale was essentially kicked off by an approach from the
 Blackstone Group, the newspaper reported, citing people familiar
 with the matter.

 Intelsat, Blackstone Group and Credit Suisse were not immediately
 reachable for comment. The Journal reported that an Intelsat
 spokeswoman said that "as a matter of policy, we don't comment on
 market rumors."

 SES Global and Eutelsat Communications are among the other major
 satellite providers, besides Intelsat and PanAmSat.

 <http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6176633.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn>