[kictanet] why i voted fo .xxx- by susan crawford

alice alice at apc.org
Thu Apr 5 21:05:21 EAT 2007

Agree with you Njeri that ICANN's core mandate is technical regulation
of the internet, however, the moment it made a decision on the dot XXX,
a matter in my opinion that is ideologically loaded, it is moving out of
technical regulation into the public policy sphere.

Reason why numerous countries, and the EU for example, raised issues of
public policy principles for management of internet resources during the
WSIS Tunis agenda.

As others have observed, the decision is indeed a symptom of
international policy malaise on developing globally acceptable rules for
governing the internet in the interest of the public and these
contradictions are likely to recur.