[kictanet] why i voted fo .xxx- by susan crawford

Njeri Rionge njeri.rionge at igniteconsulting.co.ke
Thu Apr 5 15:20:31 EAT 2007

Rebecca, I personally prefer to remain succinct.

In addition to the reasons stated in the resolution, I vote no for the
following reasons.

>> 1. that the ICM proposal does not take into account the global cultural
>> issues and concerns that relate to the immediate introduction of this TLD
>> onto the internet,
>> 2. that the ICM proposal will not protect the relevant or interested
>> community from the adult entertainment websites by a significant percentage
>> 3. that the ICM proposal focuses on content management which is not in
>> ICANN¹s technical mandate
>> 4. the ICM proposal conflicts with our recently consistent rebattle with ITU
>> during the WSIS, which is still very fresh in our minds and  the community,
>> we need to be consistent with core mandate of ICANN

In reference to the resolution, this can be accessed:-
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-30mar07.htm

Be reminded that the vote was 9 against and 5 for, and 1 abstention. If you
look at the trend from inception, this matter has even received a for vote
initially and therefore cannot be sighted my this fact that the vote was
based on morality and personal believes. This has been a complex issue and
will continue to be until we resolve some fundamental principles of
structure and redefined objectives of the institution/corporation as a
whole.

Ps, this information was posted on the internet as well.

Njeri,

On 4/5/07 9:09 AM, "Rebecca Wanjiku" <rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> If, after creation of an xxx TLD, certain governments of the world want to
> ensure that their citizens do not see xxx content, it is within their
> prerogative as sovereigns to instruct internet access providers physically
> located within their territory to block such content. Also, if certain
> governments want to ensure that *all* adult content providers with a physical
> presence in their country register exclusively within xxx, that is their
> prerogative as well. (I note that such a requirement in the U.S. would violate
> the First Amendment to our Constitution.) But this content-related censorship
> should not be ICANN¹s concern, and ICANN should not allow itself to be used as
> a private lever for government chokepoint content control by making up reasons
> to avoid the creation of such a TLD in the first place. To the extent there
> are public policy concerns with this TLD, they can be dealt with through local
> law. Registration in (or visitation of) domains in this TLD is purely
> voluntary.
>
> If ICANN were to base its decisions on the views of the Australian (or US, or
> Brazilian) government, ICANN would have compromised away its very reason for
> existence as a private non-governmental governance institution.
>
> Conclusion
>
> I continue to be dissatisfied with elements of the proposed xxx contract,
> including but not limited to the ³rapid takedown² provision of Appendix S,1
> which is manifestly designed to placate trademark owners and ignores the many
> due process concerns that have been expressed about the existing UDRP. I am
> confident that if I had a staff or enough time I could find many things to
> carp about in this draft contract. But I am certain that if I complained about
> these terms my concerns would be used to justify derailing this application
> for political reasons. I plan, therefore, to turn my attention to the new gTLD
> process that was promised for January 2007 (a promise that has not been kept)
> in hopes that we will someday have a standard contract and objective process
> that can help ICANN avoid engaging in unjustifiable ad hoc actions. We should
> be examining generic TLD applicants on the basis of their technical and
> financial strength, and we should avoid dealing with ³content² concerns to the
> maximum extent possible. We should be opening up new TLDs. I hope we will find
> a way to achieve such a sound process in short order.
> Rebecca Wanjiku,
> journalist,
> p.o box 33515,
> Nairobi.00600
> Kenya.
>
> Tel. 254 720 318 925
>
> blog:http://beckyit.blogspot.com/
>

> Finding fabulous fares is fun.
> Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites
> <http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097;_ylc=X3oDMTFtNW45amVpBF9TAz
> k3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw-->  to

Njeri Rionge
Chief Executive Officer
Ignite Consulting Limited
Eden Square 7th Floor
Chiromo Rd, Westlands
P. O. Box 15568 00100 GPO Nairobi, Kenya
T: (254 20) 3673250‹9
E: njeri.rionge at igniteconsulting.co.ke
http://www.igniteconsulting.co.ke

Professional, Life Skills Coaching, Value Added Training on Conformity and
Compliance,
Business Management, Organizational Development and Facilitation.