[kictanet] Tom Friedman

Nik Nesbitt nnesbitt at kencall.com
Thu Apr 5 21:01:03 EAT 2007

Did you get the pictures of his visit here?  How was your visit with him?
He sounded very positive having met you...

The US Ambassador and his team were extremely positive about what Tom had to
say in his article about Kenya and the prospects for this industry
developing into a major part of the regional economy.

Now we need to capitalize on this opportunity and ensure the rest of the
world knows what Kenya has to offer.

The BBC did a radio interview last night with us on the World Bank fiber
project and have already received half a dozen emails from California to
Singapore trying to understand what the subsidy could mean for their doing
business out here.  Next week a large UK paper also wants to do a story.

The World Bank posted its announcement of its subsidies to the region on its
web site on Tuesday, in case people haven't seen it yet.  All good...

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,,contentMDK:21281294~pagePK:
34370~piPK:34424~theSitePK:4607,00.html

Thanks for all of your support
Nik

--
Nicholas A. Nesbitt
Chief Executive Officer

+254 (721) 458.458 (mobile)
+254 (20) 66.02.101 (direct)
+254 (20) 66.02.222 (fax)

+1.703.937.8970/1 (USA line to Kenya)
+1.253.484.0006 (USA efax)
+1.914.380.9444 (USA cell)

www.kencall.com

World Bank Approves US$164.5 Million for Connectivity to Make Kenya, Burundi
and Madagascar More Competitive
Up to 25 countries* in East and Southern Africa could benefit from the
broader US$424 million Regional Communications Infrastructure Program (RCIP)

Press Release No:2007/309/AFR

In Washington, DC: Henny Rahardja
+1-202-473-4857 hrahardja at worldbank.org
In Bujumbura: Marie-Claire Nzeyimana
+257-2-2-2657 mnzeyimana at worldbank.org
In Nairobi: Peter Warutere
+254-20-322-6444 pwarutere at worldbank.org
In Antananarivo: Jocelyn Rafidinarivo
+261-20-225-6000 jrafidinarivo at worldbank.org

WASHINGTON, D.C., April 2, 2007 ‹ The World Bank Board of Directors approved
on March 29, an International Development Association (IDA) financing
package of US$164.5 million for Kenya, Burundi and Madagascar as the first
tranche of the US$424 million Regional Communications Infrastructure Program
(RCIP) for high-speed connectivity in East and Southern Africa.

The region is being held back by the prohibitive costs of international
connectivity. Businesses are unable to compete in the global economy;
university students suffer because they cannot access the Internet; and
Government agencies cannot communicate effectively with each other and their
citizens because they are not connected.

East and Southern Africa is the only region in the world that is not
connected to the global broadband infrastructure and accounts for less than
one percent of the world¹s international bandwidth capacity. As a result of
this Œmissing link¹, the region relies on satellite connectivity, with costs
amongst the highest in the world.

One Kenyan call-center entrepreneur told the World Bank Board of Directors
the region simply cannot compete. ³To put 25 agents on the phone, it will
cost us close to US$17,000 a month. Elsewhere, it will only cost US$600-900
a month,² said Nicholas Nesbitt, CEO of KenCall. ³It is absolutely
imperative that something be done right now to make bandwidth affordable.
Otherwise, we¹re going to miss a huge opportunity and people are simply
going to say that Africa is not ready for these kinds of jobs, is not ready
for business.²

The Board of Directors responded to the appeal and Governments¹ requests for
assistance by unanimously endorsing RCIP, which will bring affordable high
speed connectivity to as many as 25 countries* in East and Southern Africa.
The US$164.5 million first tranche of funding consists of IDA credits in the
amount of US$114.4 million to Kenya and US$30 million to Madagascar, and an
IDA grant in the amount of US$20.1 million to Burundi.

RCIP is an innovative example of the emphasis on regional integration, which
accounts for more than 10% of total World Bank support to Africa.

³Improving broadband connectivity will add tremendous public value for
Africa. Low cost, high quality communications is essential for economic
competitiveness,² said Paul Wolfowitz, President of the World Bank Group.
³Africa is becoming more plugged in - this is very encouraging for the
continent. Our partner countries are sending a strong signal to the world
that they are open for business and ready to leap into the information age.²

RCIP financing of terrestrial networks will be a catalyst to attract and
maximize private sector investment in telecommunications infrastructure.
RCIP complements regional undersea cable initiatives, such as the Eastern
Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSy) developed by telecommunications
operators with support from the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and
other development partners.

By the end of the Program, it is expected that all capitals and major cities
in East and Southern Africa would be linked to competitively priced
high-bandwidth connectivity. This will equip Africa to trade on a level
playing field, extend education beyond the classrooms, and accelerate good
governance.