[Kictanet] Re: India's Weaknesses

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Wed Oct 25 20:10:03 EAT 2006

Waudo said "Perhaps something could be done now before we find ourselves in India's
position"

We all know that one of the demons that has held back Africa's rise is the DE-LINK between
industry and academia (research) and also with governments. Prof. Ernest Wilson's (of
Maryland University) squad model makes the argument that you need a constant interaction
between these constituencies for growth and innovation to take place. He argues that Silicon
Valley is a clear example.

My proposition therefore as a way to answer the question above is to leverage the BPO
opportunity. Most African governments are at least on board the BPO wagon so my idea is,
lets establish the BPOs in the University environment given the current public policy
favouring. The BPO companys can take advantage of cheap but good student labour whiles
they build the real estate for their operations using university land on a "build operate and
handover basis".

The Universities then get real estate which they use for their long term expansion of physical
infrastructure. The BPO companies get their work done cheaply and when they migrate in the
long term, much value would have being gained. The University students get work
experience for the long term job market entry and also interim cash to support their
University education. This also gives the non-computer related students some basic skills
and exposure and for the CS, EE etc students, they build their internal capacity not only to
take calls and do word processing but more technical stuff. They would soon be writing
software for those BPO companies. Mostly importantly this becomes the nucleus of the
government/academia/private sector LINKINING which would grow into other areas.

Hence the value proposition of the BPO banwagon is, it gives us a foot into the door but we
must move up the value chain very quickly or we would end up doing the low end jobs which
would make us less competitive in the Knowledge economy.

When I proposed this to my Ghana Cyber Group friend (Yaw Owusu, leading the way with a
private TechPark in Ghana) whom i have cced on this mail, he said, then the Tech Parks (BPOs
+ more) should be in the University/Research Environment and his example of been able to
acquire land from the Ghana CSIR which is close to the University of Ghana would be a good
prototype.

This is the story am going to be telling at the the first University Leaders Forum in Cape
Town to which governments, academic leadership, private sector and Civil Society has being
convened.

Eric here