[Kictanet] [Fibre-for-africa] Re: [AfrISPA.Discuss] Ethiopia on International Optical Fibre!!!!!

Eric Osiakwan eric at afrispa.org
Wed Nov 15 08:21:11 EAT 2006

Micheru, this reminds me to also ask you about the status of the
recent EARPTO regional IXP RFP - when are we seeing some action on that?

Eric here

On 13 Nov 2006, at 11:30, Joseph Mucheru wrote:

> Brian,
>
> You may also not believe this but am sited in Kampala in the "Comesa
> Interconnection Workshop" and not only is Wananchi 4,590ms away from
> Kampala, but BBC and Yahoo are approximately 800ms, Am reliably
> informed by
> TKL that there is a fiber link between Kenya and Uganda and that
> both UTL
> and TKL are connected to the local Exchange Points, what is wrong
> with this
> picture?
>
> --
> Joseph Mucheru
> Chief Executive
> Wananchi Online Limited
> mucheru at wananchi.com
>

>> From: Brian Longwe <brian at pure-id.com>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:10:22 +0300
>> To: Private list for use by EASSY Workshop Participants
>> <fibre-for-africa at lists.apc.org>, <Discuss at afrispa.org>, Kenya ICT
>> Policy -
>> kictanet <kictanet at kictanet.or.ke>
>> Subject: [AfrISPA.Discuss] Ethiopia on International Optical
>> Fibre!!!!!
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> You may not believe this but I am sitting in Addis right now and
>> seeing latency of 120ms on a ping to BBC in the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Apparently the Ethiopian Telecommunications Corporation (ETC) did a
>> deal with Sudan to get access by extending the national fibre optic
>> between two towns close to the border. Interestingly enough this came
>> about after another project to link Ethiopia via Eritrea stalled due
>> to cross-border negotiations.
>>
>> At an estimated project cost of approx US$690,000 the country now has
>> fairly good internet connectivity. The project was initiated in
>> February this year and completed by August with 34 Mbps from Verizon.
>> An invitation for bids to provide 155Mbps (STM-1) was also launched
>> at the same time.
>>
>> This is a v. good example of how terrestrial networks can provide a
>> quick alternative means of providing international connectivity.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Brian
>> To unsubscribe send a mail to: imailsrv at afrispa.org. Type the
>> following in
>> the body of your mail (not header): "Unsubscribe discuss" (without
>> quotes).
>> This List is operated by ZAnet Internet Services:  www.zanet.co.za
>> on behalf
>> of www.afrispa.org. For any List Admin queries send mail to
>> William at zanet.co.za

Eric M.K Osiakwan
Executive Secretary
AfrISPA (www.afrispa.org)
Tel: + 233.21.258800
Fax: + 233.21.258811
Cell: + 233.244.386792
Handle: eosiakwan
Snail Mail: Pmb 208, Accra-North
Office: BusyInternet - 42 Ring Road Central, Accra-North
Blog: http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/eric/
Slang: "Tomorrow Now"