[Kictanet] v2030 and ICT

Bill Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:08:25 EAT 2006

SPEECH BY HIS EXCELLENCY HON. MWAI KIBAKI, C.G.H., M.P., PRESIDENT AND
COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA ON THE
OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF THE VISION 2030, KENYATTA INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
CENTRE, NAIROBI, 30TH OCTOBER, 2006

http://www.statehousekenya.go.ke/speeches/kibaki/oct06/2006301001.htm

The ICT sector is one of the fastest growing sectors of the economy,
with highest potential for Kenya's prospects in tapping global
markets. This follows the total liberalisation of this sector in
Kenya. We will soon have a second national operator, which will bring
greater dynamism to the telecommunications sector. More importantly,
we are investing in fibre optic connectivity nationally and
internationally to leverage our global competitiveness in this sector,
which offers our educated youth extensive opportunities for
employment. Therefore, the strategies that you are developing for the
next five years should leverage this competitive advantage, especially
with regard to business process outsourcing, which is the world's
fastest growing global market. The economic performance of any country
is closely tied to the application of science and technology. This is
why Kenya is investing considerably in higher education, research
institutions, and universities.

However, there still remain serious limitations in application of
technology between research, industry, and agriculture. This is a
serious weakness in our development strategy, which requires urgent
attention. We have recently created the Ministry of Science and
Technology, which is developing a national policy for science,
technology, and innovation. It is important that the Vision Strategy
that is being developed, is geared towards enhancing Kenya's
scientific and technological capacity, inculcating a scientific
culture, and integrating science and technology into our production
and service sectors.