[Kictanet] Fwd: [Idlelo2] Re: [afrinic-discuss] Africa 's Internet Community to gather in Nairobi in May

Brian Longwe brian at pure-id.com
Mon Mar 6 15:40:54 EAT 2006

Wow Bill, you're really one to sniff out controversy.... :-)

IMHO It is unfortunate to see such a harsh response sent to the whole
world - I wonder ...... why overlook the very clear statement that
the Forum WILL FOLLOW the other events. There was no attempt to claim
that the Forum was the convenor of these events - in fact it was
clearly pointed out that "AFNOG and AfriNIC are jointly
organizing...." But having said that maybe it would have been better
to seek consent from any named organisations before mentioning them
in the announcement - a lesson for the future.

On the ISOC thing I don't see it as a conflict but as an opportunity
for synergistic scheduling. We are already in discussions with the
NEPAD Council who are having an event over the same period after they
saw that our dates COINCIDE (not conflict) with theirs.... it's all a
matter of point of view -

.... is the cup half empty, or half full?

Anyway from past experience I know that this is probably a precursor
to a power-play and possibly village politics that I think we need to
steer clear of.... so let's get practical and make proactive
proposals rather than start ripping each other's guts out.

Brian