[Kictanet] eCommerce Legislation, so near and yet so far.

Rebecca Wanjiku rebeccawanjiku at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 16:41:27 EAT 2006

Walu,
strong as it maybe, it has taken ten years, i may have used strong words but in my opinion, the government hasnt shown much commitment apart from singing how ICTs can improve our lives

and you are right, some bills have been passed in record time, yet one maybe tempted to think the government is very committed, but to what extent,

thats just the way i see it!!

Rebecca

John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote: Rebecca,

Your comment

''...Kenya has no ICT law, doesn’t seem to care much about
e-commerce whether in country or between Kenya and other
countries''...may be abit on the stronger side.

I believe the relevant Kenyan agencies both in Govt,
Private  Sector and Civil society do care and have made and
continue to make effort towards a legalised eCommerce
environment.

The current Kenyan ICT policy does take cognisance of the
significance that eCommerce has and the draft ICT Bill
(2006) does make attempts to legalise this e-environment.

What could be lacking is a mechanism for fast-tracking the
issues i.e. escalating the time frame between Policy, Bill
and Law.  Indeed, the last bit - enacting law is the
trickiest since it lies at the mercy of Parliamenterians
(MPs)...

Nevertheless, there could be interventions tailored to gain
Parliamentary 'buy-in'.  After all, they have been known to
pass some Bills in record-time, why not the e-Bills?

walu.

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/feanywhere%40yahoo.co.uk