[Kictanet] eCommerce Legislation, so near and yet so far.

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 15:44:35 EAT 2006

Rebecca,

Your comment

''...Kenya has no ICT law, doesn’t seem to care much about
e-commerce whether in country or between Kenya and other
countries''...may be abit on the stronger side.

I believe the relevant Kenyan agencies both in Govt,
Private  Sector and Civil society do care and have made and
continue to make effort towards a legalised eCommerce
environment.

The current Kenyan ICT policy does take cognisance of the
significance that eCommerce has and the draft ICT Bill
(2006) does make attempts to legalise this e-environment.

What could be lacking is a mechanism for fast-tracking the
issues i.e. escalating the time frame between Policy, Bill
and Law.  Indeed, the last bit - enacting law is the
trickiest since it lies at the mercy of Parliamenterians
(MPs)...

Nevertheless, there could be interventions tailored to gain
Parliamentary 'buy-in'.  After all, they have been known to
pass some Bills in record-time, why not the e-Bills?

walu.

http://kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/feanywhere%40yahoo.co.uk