[Kictanet] KICTANets Monthly Minutes and KDN Presentation

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Dec 6 07:31:44 EAT 2006

Dear Judy,
Thank you for the minutes.  I was not able to attend the meeting.  I
however need to make some clarifications.  Kenya is commited to developing
a competitive environment to ensure quality and affordability of
connectivity.  To achieve this we have adopted a model in which the
Government takes the lead in development of infrastructure just like roads
then the private sector could run on it.  The terrestrial network the
Government is developing is not going to be owned by TKL but all operators
can participate.  With this model you ensure rural connectivity (the
business case here is that the fibre would carry all manner of traffic
including radio signals) and increase infordensity ultimately creating
wealth, reduce poverty to many Kenyans.

The undersea cable too is to be owned by the private sector (all operators
region and other willing investors in this region)once we structure TEAMS.
 TKL by signing the MOU did not mean they are to own it inspite of the
fact that the Government owns it 100%.  Fujiaira has four links that would
allow competitive prices and possibly a buy in into the proposed SEA-ME-WE
5.  Other locations may be vulnerable especially if there is a breakdown.

I hope this sheds some light.

Regards

Bitange Ndemo.

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.