[Kictanet] Re: Duopoly by Mobile Service Providers

Michael Joseph MJoseph at Safaricom.co.ke
Thu Sep 22 19:21:34 EAT 2005

Whatever I may say or think, you will probably disagree with me, but the statements contained herein are widely inaccurate, and I am very happy and willing to meet a delegation of this list to clarify and clear up the inaccurate statements.  I take strong exception to some of what is said as that is neither our practice as a company nor mine as an individual.

Regards

Michael

-----Original Message-----
    From: "John Walubengo" <jwalubengo at kcct.ac.ke>
    Sent: 22/09/05 12:11:11
    To: "KIPlist" <kiplist-cl at lyris.idrc.ca>
    Cc: "kictanet at kictanet.or.ke" <kictanet at kictanet.or.ke>
    Subject: Re: Duopoly by Mobile Service Providers

    "On 21 Sep 2005, at 22:06, Brian Longwe wrote:

     I'm not taking sides here, just asking questions that I think should
     straighten what is clearly spurios reasoning..."

    Unlike Brian, I do wish I could take sides on this one...but this issue is too complex and
    as outsiders, we can only make educated guesses (speculate?).

    Definately, the 3rd Mobile License Saga is not moving forward as planned. This has created a defacto duopoly that Safaricom and Celtel continue to exploit with impunity (High Calling rates(airtime) for Kenyans when rated Internationally, Lack of Number Portability, poorly implemented EIR (the software that disables stolen phones) system, Unreliable Emergency Service Lines (equivalent to 999 services), Delayed SMS deliveries, Retention of Unused Credit, etc, etc, etc.

    A 3rd Mobile Service Provider is likely to destroy un-written, cartel agreements that the current service providers are conviniently enjoying.  However, the process for inviting the 3rd Operator has been halted in courts and one wonders (and speculates) on whether the delayed processing of resolving issue is not deliberate to perpetuate the status quo...

    walu.

    >>> <alice at apc.org> 09/22/05 11:39am >>>
    Brian,  I think it was clear that your reference was to the conclusion
    arrived at by the author of the article.
    But you do bring into light certain aspects that the author left out which
    is helpful in understanding the situation.
    However, I think, it would be even more helpful if journalists could go the
    extra mile to explain the mechanisms/structures of the industry being
    reported on and allow readers to make the mental exercise of jumping into
    conclusions!

    thanks
    alice