[Kictanet] Podcast primer

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Fri Oct 28 08:05:48 EAT 2005

++ Podcast primer

This is a quick and dirty guide to Podcasting... in short, how to hear
ours and other Podcasts with the minimum of fuss.

1. What is a Podcast?

   It's basically an MP3 audio file added to an RSS feed that can be
   easily downloaded and accessed by your computers' media player and/or
   your portable MP3/audio player.

2. What do I need to download a Podcast?

   You'll need a Podcast client, or software application. There's a few
   to choose from, but to make things easy we'll recommend iPodder Lemon.
   It's available for Windows, Linux and Apple operating systems.

   Download iPodder:

   http://ipodder.sourceforge.net

3. Ok, I have iPodder. What's next?

   Fire up iPodder and go to the "Tools" menu.

   Select "Add a feed".

   In the URL field add the Secession Podcast link:

   http://toysatellite.org/secession/podcast.xml

   Then press "Save".

   You might also want to add the KunstRadio Podcast too:

   http://kunstradio.at/kunstradio.xml

   Now go to the "Subscriptions" tab.

   Highlight the feed you want to download. If you're online all
   Podcasts from that feed will be listed.

   Tick the one you want, go back to the "Tools" menu and select
   "Check selected".

   Your feed will now download and be ready for listening...

4. Er... but where will I find my downloaded Podcasts?

   Good question! Under the "File" menu select "Preferences". Under the
   "General" tab you'll see a path to the folder where iPodder has
   automatically created a download directory.

5. Anything else before I give this a go?

   Sure! Drop us a line and let us know how you go... leave a message as
   a comment to this primer. Have fun... live lightly, shine brightly.

   http://www.toysatellite.org/secession/news/podcast_primer.php

+++               SECESSION RECORDS || secession at toysatellite.org
+++ new releases: http://www.toysatellite.org/secession/releases/

Alice Wanjira
National Coordinator, Catalysing Access to ICTs in Africa (CATIA)
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
alice at apc.org
http://www.apc.org
http://www.catia.ws