[Kictanet] FW: Interesting and provocative essay on EASSy

Alex Gakuru way_forward_tech at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 12:53:54 EAT 2005

v\:* {	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)}o\:* {	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)}w\:* {	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)}..shape {	BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Provoking Indeed!

Alden’s two articles are peculiar, provoking, and perhaps shallow to an otherwise sure prosperity EASSy big step, as clearly summarised in the article’s first paragraph. While NEPAD[1] and EU are negotiating[2] financing of the project, the author claims, “African governments and World Bank that are being asked to help finance another
 this one is called
 etc”

In real terms (and for conceptualisation purpose), the cited US$ 200 million is far short of the estimated US$ 213 million Kenya alone spends annually educating her children abroad, mainly in the UK, and yet this US$ 200m is the cost for the entire EASSy cable from South Africa upwards to southern Sudan. The author even gets emotive in trying too hard to discredit the project. Please give Africa credit sometimes!

The “parastatial telecommunication bureaucracies” is distasteful since parastatals such as Safaricom Limited in Kenya are extremely profitable and other investors should explore similar partnerships with the various EASSy governments?

[1] NEPAD is the Political and Economic arm of the African Union, politics and economics being inseparable.

[2] URL http://www.connectivityafrica.ca/HTML/PAREN_investment_report_final.pdf pp. 67

.

PS: I have attached my short reaction

Alex