[Kictanet] FW: Interesting and provocative essay on EASSy

vkyalo vkyalo at kenet.or.ke
Wed Nov 9 08:05:36 EAT 2005

Good read regarding EASSy,

   _____

From: Jim Forster [mailto:forster at cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:07 PM
To: vkyalo
Cc: David Ochanda
Subject: Re: Interesting and provocative essay on EASSy

Hello Victor,

Nice to meet you.   I've been following and starting to participate in some
issues and activities in networking in Africa.    I heard of this essay by
Roland Alden and forwarded it to people that I know that I thought might be
interested.   I don't have any particular discussion group for it; I'm sure
you're involved in discussion groups that might be interested in this, so go
ahead and forward it and discuss it as you see fit.   I did see a reference
to Richard Bell's article on a Kictanet archive.   I hadn't known about
Kictanet; those people might be interested in the essay.

In September Richard Bell, the founder of Kenya Data Network, wrote a brief
about EASSy, the proposed East African undersea fiber optic cable, which was
critical of the planned financial structure.  Now Roland Alden, a
telecommunications consultant,  has written a very interesting and
provocative essay on EASSy as well.  Here's the opening paragraph:

Just say No to EASSy

by Roland H. Alden

African governments and global institutions like the World Bank are being
asked to help finance another telecommunications project. This one is called
HYPERLINK "http://eassy.org/"EASSy (East African Submarine Cable System).
While more and cheaper telecommunications is surely needed all across Africa
, East African citizens would do well to ask their governments to take a
step back from EASSy and find better ways to sponsor telecommunications
projects that will result in real progress. As it stands today, EASSy could
become a giant step backwards for Africa; and, with a US$200 million price
tag, it has the potential of being an economic disaster Africa can
ill-afford.

I encourage you to read the rest of the essay at HYPERLINK
"http://www.ralden.com/C1/EASSy"http://www.ralden.com/C1/EASSy and would
welcome your thoughts on this very important issue.

Thanks,

  -- Jim Forster

      Distinguished Engineer

      Cisco Systems